Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to Run/Convert(?) Script Built on 5.8.4 to 5.004

How to Run/Convert(?) Script Built on 5.8.4 to 5.004

foolishbrat

Hi all,

I have several Perl scripts which was written under Perl version
5.8.4.
Now I need to run them on a office server where Perl 5.004 was
installed.
(And I have no option to install Perl interpreter on my home
directory).

Is there a way I can convert/run my code such that it can be
executed on environment where Perl 5.004 is installed?

Tad McClellan

foolishbrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have several Perl scripts which was written under Perl version
> 5.8.4.
> Now I need to run them on a office server where Perl 5.004 was
> installed.

That version of perl was released in 1997 or 1998.

A whole lot can happen in a decade...

> (And I have no option to install Perl interpreter on my home
> directory).

Why not?

Because Perl costs so much?

Company policy?

Some other obstacle?

> Is there a way I can convert/run my code such that it can be
> executed on environment where Perl 5.004 is installed?

Yes.

1) run your 5.8.4 program on a 5.004 interpreter.

2) observe what breaks

3) fix those things that you have observed

You might also consider seeing the perl*delta.pod files in the 70 or so
perl releases that have occurred between 5.004 and 5.8.4.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas