Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > file name length must not exceed 260 characters...

file name length must not exceed 260 characters...

kath

Hi, I have a script which unzips an archive. As I unzip archive I get
some errors like,

Total path and file name length must not exceed 260 characters
Access is denied.

When I check the path of the file it is actually having length of 259
characters.
Is there any way to solve this(may im asking stupid question) problem,
because when check the path-legth it is 259. And the thing is I have
to unzip it to that same destination, no other option.

I am running the script on Windows and the unzipping is happening on
Linux box. Is it really potential problem of the operating system or
is there a way I can overcome this.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you,
kath.

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

kath <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hi, I have a script which unzips an archive. As I unzip archive I get
> some errors like,
>
> Total path and file name length must not exceed 260 characters
> Access is denied.
>
> When I check the path of the file it is actually having length of 259
> characters.

There is at least a trailing null byte.

> Is there any way to solve this(may im asking stupid question) problem,
> because when check the path-legth it is 259. And the thing is I have
> to unzip it to that same destination, no other option.

Haggling about the length which should nominally suffice won't
get you anywhere. When you're forced to operate that close to
the limit, you must increase the limit. You can probably modify
the kernel to accept longer path names.

> I am running the script on Windows and the unzipping is happening on
> Linux box. Is it really potential problem of the operating system or
> is there a way I can overcome this.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

You should ask that question on a Unix- or Linux-related group.
Perl programmers aren't particularly qualified to answer it.

Anno

kath

On Apr 23, 7:01 pm, (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> Haggling about the length which should nominally suffice won't
> get you anywhere. When you're forced to operate that close to
> the limit, you must increase the limit. You can probably modify
> the kernel to accept longer path names.

Hi Anno,

You think we can increase the limit? because i don't have any idea..

Any ways thanks for you information.

kath.