Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Use Perl to Fix DST on Windows Computer

Use Perl to Fix DST on Windows Computer

EdwardATeller

Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer? My OS cannot be
patched.

Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
adds the proper offset according to my time zone and DST status, and
then updates the time in my Windows system.

Peter J. Holzer

On 2007-03-11 15:01, EdwardATeller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
> use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer? My OS cannot be
> patched.
>
> Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
> adds the proper offset according to my time zone and DST status, and
> then updates the time in my Windows system.

That would certainly be a possibility. I doubt it's necessary, though. I
remember that even in Windows95 the start and end of DST were a simply
registry setting. No need to patch the OS - just put the right values
into the registry.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Blaming Perl for the inability of programmers
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | to write clearly is like blaming English for
| | | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | the circumlocutions of bureaucrats.
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Charlton Wilbur in clpm

Jürgen Exner

EdwardATeller wrote:
> Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
> use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just call the "date" command.
However, -although not a Perl issue- I would suggest to simply update your
system. The proper updates for the new DST in the USA have been available
for quite some time.

> My OS cannot be
> patched.

Then maybe you should look into fixing this problem? After all, you are
missing many, many other updates, too, which are more important than this
stupid DST change update.

jue

jason.mangiafico@verizon.net

quoting:
> Before I bust my head against a wall, do you think it's possible to
> use Perl to update the time in my Windows computer? My OS cannot be
> patched.
>
> Ideally, I would write a Perl script that gets GMT from the internet,
> adds the proper offset according to my time zone andDSTstatus, and
> then updates the time in my Windows system.

What Windows version? Most can be patched via the registry, and there
are several unofficial patches available that automate the process.
The ones on intelliadmin.com are very good, and I've used them on my
windows 2000 and 98 systems.

A. Sinan Unur

"EdwardATeller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> My OS cannot be patched.

I used tzedit.exe available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927229

Sinan