Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Non-blocking directory watching

Non-blocking directory watching

xhoster@gmail.com

"Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Is there a way to watch a directory for files w/o blocking? I was
> hoping there was something similar to select but I have found nothing.

I can't think of a way of watching a directory *with* blocking (I'd just do
polling which may be inefficient but doesn't block waiting for a change to
happen). If you have such a method (efficient but blocking) in mind and
you share it with us, I might be able to help you make it nonblocking.

> inotify will not work b/c of the linux kernel requirement. I'd like
> to stay cross-platform

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Matthew

Hello all.

Is there a way to watch a directory for files w/o blocking? I was
hoping there was something similar to select but I have found nothing.

inotify will not work b/c of the linux kernel requirement. I'd like
to stay cross-platform

Thanks in advance.
---Matthew

Matthew

Naw. I too am polling at the moment. This was more of a curiosity
question in the hopes of adding to my knowledge.

Thanks.
---Matthew