Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Howto:Perl connection to Oracle

Howto:Perl connection to Oracle

Bill

Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
maybe even with some examples?

thanks in advance-
Bill

Ben Morrow

Quoth Bill <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
> maybe even with some examples?

You want to use DBI and DBD::Oracle. Go to http://search.cpan.org and
search for them.

Ben

on the strictest morality. [Samuel Butler, paraphrased] http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

brian d foy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
> maybe even with some examples?

There's the DBI module, which even has a book about it: "Programming
the Perl DBI"

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBI/

gf

On Feb 28, 7:52 am, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anything out there that's well documented and half way easy to learn,
> maybe even with some examples?
>
> thanks in advance-
> Bill

the DBI is not that hard to use. Getting the connection going is the
first step and requires that you have the appropriate Oracle drivers
on the machine hosting the code, then getting the right settings to
plug into the DSN. You'll need the database name, the host name, the
port you're connecting to, the user ID and password, and to decide
whether you're going to let the DBI handle your error handling,
reporting and whether it should commit automatically.

Then, based on your application's needs, you'll want to get familiar
with do(), prepare(), execute() and selectrow_array() routines.

The DBI docs are pretty good and are mirrored in the "Programming the
Perl DBI" book from O'Reilly. I prefer the online docs at
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI/DBI.pm though I regularly make a mess
of my monitor's screen highlighting sections and writing notes.