Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Uninstall a module?

Uninstall a module?

Tracey

Hi all,

I force installed DBD::mysql when I shouldn't have and have broken
just about everything I had running on this particular server. I'm
getting 'perl:relocation error' all over the place. Any idea how I
restore this or uninstall it and get my server back to normal?

Thanks.

Randal L. Schwartz

Tracey> I force installed DBD::mysql when I shouldn't have and have broken
Tracey> just about everything I had running on this particular server. I'm
Tracey> getting 'perl:relocation error' all over the place. Any idea how I
Tracey> restore this or uninstall it and get my server back to normal?

The CPAN and CPANPLUS installers are just that... installers. They are not
package managers, although they have a bit of dependency-chasing built in.
(And they can never be package managers, because they don't care if two
different CPAN distros both write to the same file.)

Your only safe bet is to roll back via some other mechanism, like a backup
archive.

print "Just another Perl hacker,";

Bart Lateur

Tracey wrote:

>I force installed DBD::mysql when I shouldn't have and have broken
>just about everything I had running on this particular server. I'm
>getting 'perl:relocation error' all over the place. Any idea how I
>restore this or uninstall it and get my server back to normal?

You may try to partially install it again, at least, make it. That way
you can see what files are added, and then, delete them manually.

But of course, that won't restore the files you accidently overwrite.
Your best option, in that case, is to install an older version of the
DBD::mysql module, but this time, do it properly. Well, unless you
happend to have a backup archive ready...

--
Bart.

gf

On Feb 15, 3:40 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Your only safe bet is to roll back via some other mechanism, like a backup
> archive.

That makes me think that cpan's autobundle command might come in
handy.

(That's cpan the app, not CPAN the site.)

Tracey

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I can't say exactly how this was fixed,
but my resident Linux guru fixed it very quickly and easily. It was
something along the lines of pointing Linux back to the original Perl
installation. Wish I could be more descriptive, but I did want to let
you know the problem is solved.

Tracey