Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > loading modules run test

mmccaws2

I would like to find out where the files that test a module when
installed are stored.

I was in my Perl class installing perl modules while trying to pay
attention to the lecture. Well, my mac needed some additional
modules, which I allowed it to pursue the others and install them. As
it was installing each you could see the command line streaming away
with all the tests being performed on each package.
What happens to those test files for a module? I'd like to learn from
them.

Also while I wasn't paying too much attention to which modules I was
saying yes to THE NEXT THING I REALIZED WAS THE LAPTOP WAS TALKING TO
ME I'd like to find that test.

is there a way to find out which module was installed when?

Thanks
Mike

attn.steven.kuo@gmail.com

On Feb 13, 9:34 pm, "mmccaws2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to find out where the files that test a module when
> installed are stored.

Typically modules from CPAN store tests under the "t"
subdirectory. It may be helpful for you to look at
the "MANIFEST" of a few modules. For example:

http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/Tes...-0.67/MANIFEST

lists

t/00signature.t
t/00test_harness_check.t
etc.

as tests.

If you used the 'cpan' utility to install modules,
then the files you downloaded should be found under
your $HOME/.cpan/build directory.

> I was in my Perl class installing perl modules while trying to pay
> attention to the lecture. Well, my mac needed some additional
> modules, which I allowed it to pursue the others and install them. As
> it was installing each you could see the command line streaming away
> with all the tests being performed on each package.
> What happens to those test files for a module? I'd like to learn from
> them.

Nothing happens to those files (unless the 'cpan' utility
decides to reclaim some disk space by deleting older
files).

> Also while I wasn't paying too much attention to which modules I was
> saying yes to THE NEXT THING I REALIZED WAS THE LAPTOP WAS TALKING TO
> ME I'd like to find that test.

The after-effect from a college frat party?
Either that, or you installed something like
Mac::Carbon that has this test:

http://search.cpan.org/src/CNANDOR/M...ech/t/Speech.t

> is there a way to find out which module was installed when?

Try

$ perldoc perllocal

--
Hope this helps,
Steven

mmccaws2

On Feb 13, 10:53 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 9:34 pm, "mmccaws2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I would like to find out where the files that test a module when
> > installed are stored.

> Typically modules from CPAN store tests under the "t"
> subdirectory. It may be helpful for you to look at
> the "MANIFEST" of a few modules. For example:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~mschwern/Tes...-0.67/MANIFEST
>
> lists
>
> t/00signature.t
> t/00test_harness_check.t
> etc.
>
> as tests.
>
> If you used the 'cpan' utility to install modules,
> then the files you downloaded should be found under
> your $HOME/.cpan/build directory.
>

> > I was in my Perl class installing perl modules while trying to pay
> > attention to the lecture. Well, my mac needed some additional
> > modules, which I allowed it to pursue the others and install them. As
> > it was installing each you could see the command line streaming away
> > with all the tests being performed on each package.
> > What happens to those test files for a module? I'd like to learn from
> > them.

> Nothing happens to those files (unless the 'cpan' utility
> decides to reclaim some disk space by deleting older
> files).
>
> > Also while I wasn't paying too much attention to which modules I was
> > saying yes to THE NEXT THING I REALIZED WAS THE LAPTOP WAS TALKING TO
> > ME I'd like to find that test.

> The after-effect from a college frat party?
> Either that, or you installed something like
> Mac::Carbon that has this test:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/src/CNANDOR/M...ech/t/Speech.t
>
> > is there a way to find out which module was installed when?

> Try
>
> $ perldoc perllocal
>
> --
> Hope this helps,