Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > how to install/use MP3::Tag in Windows environment?

how to install/use MP3::Tag in Windows environment?

Ozmodiar

ahoy:

i am working on a project in Windows XP where i must read MP3 file ID3v2
information (particularly long (>30 char) Artist and Title)

(This is perl, v5.8.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)

i was able to install and use MP3::Info, by downloading the source to
mp3-info.ppm and doing
C:\Perl> ppm install mp3-info

i could access this from my perl code and it seemed to work as advertised,
but this module does not let me get at the long artist/title information.

it looks like the module i really want is MP3::Tag
http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/MP3-Tag-0.9709/Tag.pm

i'm not a windows/perl heavy and don't understand how to go from the
downloadable
modules/MP3-Tag-0.9709.tar.gz
file, to getting this installed from DOS command prompt (C:\Perl>)

i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
then did
C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
(got back:
Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
)

then i did
C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
(got back:
Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
)

Tag.pm is in my working dir, as are folders: /examples, /Tag, /tk-tag
don't know why "not found" (or what i'm really doing).

can anyone baby-talk me through this?

thanks very much,
-rr

John Bokma

"Ozmodiar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
> then did
> C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
> (got back:
> Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
> Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
> )
>
> then i did
> C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
> (got back:
> Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
> )

Yup, wrong.

See http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html
for baby steps

Sisyphus

"Ozmodiar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
..
..
> then i did
> C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
> (got back:
> Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
> )

All you need do is (while connected to the internet) run:
ppm install MP3-Tag

For ppm installations there's no need to download the CPAN source (or
anything else ftm).

Cheers,
Rob

Ozmodiar

"Sisyphus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45c94750$0$5744$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Ozmodiar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> .
> .
>> then i did
>> C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
>> (got back:
>> Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
>> )

> All you need do is (while connected to the internet) run:
> ppm install MP3-Tag
>
> For ppm installations there's no need to download the CPAN source (or
> anything else ftm).
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

that was sweet!
got it all working in no time after that.

thank you *very* much!
-rr

ethopandit@gmail.com

On Feb 6, 3:57 pm, "Ozmodiar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ahoy:
>
> i am working on a project in Windows XP where i must read MP3 file ID3v2
> information (particularly long (>30 char) Artist and Title)
>
> (This is perl, v5.8.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)
>
> i was able to install and use MP3::Info, by downloading the source to
> mp3-info.ppm and doing
> C:\Perl> ppm install mp3-info
>
> i could access this from my perl code and it seemed to work as advertised,
> but this module does not let me get at the long artist/title information.
>
> it looks like the module i really want is MP3::Taghttp://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/MP3-Tag-0.9709/Tag.pm
>
> i'm not a windows/perl heavy and don't understand how to go from the
> downloadable
> modules/MP3-Tag-0.9709.tar.gz
> file, to getting this installed from DOS command prompt (C:\Perl>)
>
> i used Stuffit to extract the contents into my Perl dir
> then did
> C:\Perl> perl Makefile.pl
> (got back:
> Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
> Writing Makefile for MP3::Tag
> )
>
> then i did
> C:\Perl> ppm install Tag
> (got back:
> Error: 'Tag' not found. Please 'search' for it first.
> )
>
> Tag.pm is in my working dir, as are folders: /examples, /Tag, /tk-tag
> don't know why "not found" (or what i'm really doing).
>
> can anyone baby-talk me through this?
>
> thanks very much,
> -rr

Run ppm install MP3::Tag