Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Clickable mail link?

Clickable mail link?

lnp3@columbia.edu

I am using a perl script to send mail to a list of users with a
statement that says something like "For assistance, contact the
helpdesk at consultant\@xyz.com." This works okay, but
"(E-Mail Removed)" is not clickable when it arrives in the email
client. Is there any way to enable this? I have used perl to generate
web pages, but I am not sure that html type capabilities exist for
plain-vanilla perl scripts such as the one I am describing.

Brian McCauley

On Jan 26, 5:19 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am using a perl script to send mail to a list of users with a
> statement that says something like "For assistance, contact the
> helpdesk at consultant\@xyz.com." This works okay, but
> "(E-Mail Removed)" is not clickable when it arrives in the email
> client. Is there any way to enable this? I have used perl to generate
> web pages, but I am not sure that html type capabilities exist for
> plain-vanilla perl scripts such as the one I am describing.

You can't have a "clickable" something in a plain text mail. (This has
nothing to do with Perl).

Making an email HTML is a simple as giving it a content-type header
(then producing a valid HTML document as the message body).

Note that unless you know the recepients will all be using HTML capable
MUAs then you should probably be sending MIME multipart/alternative.

The MIME::* modules on CPAN would probably be a good place to start.

Charlton Wilbur

BMcC> You can't have a "clickable" something in a plain text
BMcC> mail. (This has nothing to do with Perl).

Pedantry: you can't force the MUA to allow the user to click on
something, but many MUAs will recognize email addresses and allow the
user to click on them, even in plain-text emails.

You are correct, however, in that this has nothing do do with Perl,
and in that the best solution is to send multipart/alternative emails.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur

Fixed & Tiny clickable images Newbie4Ever Firefox 2 09-26-2005 09:42 AM
clickable e-mail on WebForm John Grandy ASP .Net 2 08-16-2005 11:33 AM
clickable validator z. f. ASP .Net 1 07-14-2004 02:03 PM
DataGrid Clickable Columes Amir ASP .Net 3 01-19-2004 04:59 PM
Clickable bar graphs Andrew de la Harpe ASP .Net 3 11-03-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments