Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Map Windows from Unix

Map Windows from Unix

Tuhin

Hi Mark,

Here is what I am doing now:

Step 1. Every month, I receive data on CD from another department.
Step 2. Using Windows Explorer, I copy those data in the appropriate
directory on a remote Unix server.
Step 3. Then I connect to the Unix server using Exceed On Demand.
Step 4. Then I run a Perl script (which I wrote on the Unix server) to
generate some reports from those data.

Now, here is what I am trying to do:

I like to do Step 1 while sitting on the Unix server so that when I
will run my Perl script, first it will prompt to copy the data from the
CD. CD ROM is connected with the PC.

Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection dialog
box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then I will
be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

Thanks for your time.

Tuhin

Andrew DeFaria

Tuhin wrote:
> Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
> server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection
> dialog box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then
> I will be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

How about setting up Samba such that you can mount shares from the PC to
the Unix server. Then share the CD on the PC and mount it to the Unix
system. Then just point your Perl script to the "mounted from the PC" CD.

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Clones are people two.

Ian Wilson

Tuhin wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Here is what I am doing now:
>
> Step 1. Every month, I receive data on CD from another department.
> Step 2. Using Windows Explorer, I copy those data in the appropriate
> directory on a remote Unix server.
> Step 3. Then I connect to the Unix server using Exceed On Demand.
> Step 4. Then I run a Perl script (which I wrote on the Unix server) to
> generate some reports from those data.
>
> Now, here is what I am trying to do:
>
> I like to do Step 1 while sitting on the Unix server so that when I
> will run my Perl script, first it will prompt to copy the data from the
> CD. CD ROM is connected with the PC.
>
> Since I am new in the Perl world, my idea is, sitting on the Unix
> server if I can open the Windows Explorer (or any file selection dialog
> box that will display the directory structure of the PC), then I will
> be able to copy the data from the CD using my Perl script.

I'd write a HTML web page containing a form that prompts for the file to
be uploaded and which runs a CGI script to process the uploaded file and
return a web page summarising the results (even if it is just "file OK").

The first part of this is an HTML question not a Perl question so is a
bit off-topic here ...
<form enctype="multipart/form-data"
method=post
action="http://web.example.com/cgi/foo.pl">
File:
<input type=file name=textfile>
</form>
The second part is handling the submitted form in Perl. For which I
suggest CPAN.

Then the user just inserts the CD, opens the web page, clicks the button
and uses the file-chooser to select the file. Job done.

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> -=-=-=-=-=-
>
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
> > Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
> >>
> >> Tuhin wrote:
> >> cite="(E-Mail Removed) legroups.com"

> > Please stop posting HTML gibberish. This is not the web, and your
> > posting style is very annoying to those of us who actually know what
> > we're doing.

> Last time I checked this was a free country (well at least where I'm
> posting from). Please stop telling me how to post. You might wish to get
> out of your holier then ****ing thou chair while your at it...

Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
flame you. It's a free country, you know.

Anno

Andrew DeFaria

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
> flame you. It's a free country, you know.
>
> Anno

Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from. -

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> -=-=-=-=-=-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> > Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
> > flame you. It's a free country, you know.
> >
> > Anno

> Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate this. I
> don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People with such
> petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up their asses
> anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with to start with. YMMV.

Have fun.

Anno

Andrew DeFaria

(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
>>> Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
>>> flame you. It's a free country, you know.
>>>
>>> Anno

>> Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate
>> this. I don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People
>> with such petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up
>> their asses anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with
>> to start with. YMMV.

> Have fun.
>
> Anno

I always do!

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Jürgen Exner

(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:

>>> Please stop posting HTML gibberish. This is not the web, and your
>>> posting style is very annoying to those of us who actually know what
>>> we're doing.

>> Last time I checked this was a free country (well at least where I'm
>> posting from). Please stop telling me how to post. You might wish to
>> get out of your holier then ****ing thou chair while your at it...

> Continue posting HTML and be ignored by those with a clue who don't
> flame you. It's a free country, you know.

Is Mr. Clueless still going at it and vigorously defending his idiocy? I
guess my public plonk was very much justified.

jue

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> -=-=-=-=-=-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:
> > Andrew DeFaria <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> >> -=-=-=-=-=-

> >> Yes, fine Mr. Anno. You assume that all those "in the know" hate
> >> this. I don't believe that's true and I'll takes my chances. People
> >> with such petty rules tend to be annoying and have their heads up
> >> their asses anyway. Not the kind of people I wish to associate with
> >> to start with. YMMV.

> > Have fun.
> >
> > Anno

> I always do!

You expressed too much displeasure in your contributions for that
to be true.

Anno

Tuhin

Hi Sherm,

I clicked on "Start a new topic", filled out the message area and
clicked on post message. I don't know what I did wrong. But I found
that the way you replied my topic initiates fighting using slang words
which is unfortunate. I subscribed in this group with the intention of
learning some thing because I believed that you guys are expart. But
unfortunately your reply discouraged me to continue in this group. You
are expert, but dont pretend that every one is in your level. Please
stop fighting. I am unsubcsribing now.

Tuhin

Map Windows from Unix Tuhin Perl Misc 2 01-14-2007 10:04 AM
How to map from Unix to Windows Tuhin Perl Misc 2 01-13-2007 10:04 AM
Map Windows from Unix Tuhin Perl Misc 0 01-13-2007 01:36 AM
compile C programs with UNIX system calls (= Unix Programs??) jrefactors@hotmail.com C Programming 18 01-10-2005 03:35 AM