Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl Books to Choose.. Wanting to goto next level..

Perl Books to Choose.. Wanting to goto next level..

Joe

All,

I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
knowledgable about perl..

However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
improving..

What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
accountability..

I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
detailed info on "how it works"..

I have the following books..

Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
Advance Mysql and various others...

I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..

I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..

If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..

I'll be glad to hear them..

Thanks, Joe

krakle@visto.com

On Dec 20, 7:41 pm, Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
> images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
> accountability..
>
> ... (snip) ...
>
> I have the following books..
>
> Web programming by Paul Dubois
> Mysql cookbook
> ...,
> CGI Programming 2nd edition

Actually buy and read those books now...

grocery_stocker

Joe wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
> knowledgable about perl..
>
> However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
> improving..
>

> What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
> images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
> accountability..
>
> I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
> detailed info on "how it works"..
>
> I have the following books..
>
> Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
> Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
> Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
> CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
> Advance Mysql and various others...
>
> I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
> inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
> have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..
>
> I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
> 5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..
>
> If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..
>
> I'll be glad to hear them..
>
> Thanks, Joe

I found that reading "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by
Stevens and Rago helped me gain a better understanding overPipes,
fork()/exec() model, and signals in Perl.

Somewhere in the documents, it says Perl does a depth-first search when
dealing with multiple inheritance . Sections 6.5 in the book "The C
Programming Language" by Kernighan and Richtie along with a little
googling helped me get the gist of what they were saying.

I read the Perl docs.

Reading "Unix Network Programming: The Sockets API" by Fenner and
Stevens helps if you are writing network applications in Perl or any
language for that matter.

Taking a course in compiler theory helps to understand how Perl deals
with regular expression and helps gives a general idea how the Perl
Interpretor works vs say the GNU C Compiler.

Since you are a Career Network Engineer, I assume you've Phrack
Articles like "Project Neptune" by Route/Daemon9 ?

Read Dr. Codds papers on Relational Database Theory.

Learn it all..... Master it all...... There is no substitute for a good
foundation in computer science.

Joe

On 21 Dec 2006 19:14:47 -0800, "grocery_stocker" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
>> knowledgable about perl..
>>
>> However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
>> improving..
>>

>> What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
>> images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
>> accountability..
>>
>> I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
>> detailed info on "how it works"..
>>
>> I have the following books..
>>
>> Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
>> Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
>> Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
>> CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
>> Advance Mysql and various others...
>>
>> I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
>> inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
>> have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..
>>
>> I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
>> 5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..
>>
>> If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..
>>
>> I'll be glad to hear them..
>>
>> Thanks, Joe

>I found that reading "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by
>Stevens and Rago helped me gain a better understanding overPipes,
>fork()/exec() model, and signals in Perl.
>
>Somewhere in the documents, it says Perl does a depth-first search when
>dealing with multiple inheritance . Sections 6.5 in the book "The C
>Programming Language" by Kernighan and Richtie along with a little
>googling helped me get the gist of what they were saying.
>
>I read the Perl docs.
>
>Reading "Unix Network Programming: The Sockets API" by Fenner and
>Stevens helps if you are writing network applications in Perl or any
>language for that matter.
>
>Taking a course in compiler theory helps to understand how Perl deals
>with regular expression and helps gives a general idea how the Perl
>Interpretor works vs say the GNU C Compiler.
>
>Since you are a Career Network Engineer, I assume you've Phrack
>Articles like "Project Neptune" by Route/Daemon9 ?

no.. but thanks for the info..

>Read Dr. Codds papers on Relational Database Theory.

Will do..

>Learn it all..... Master it all...... There is no substitute for a good
>foundation in computer science.

Thanks

Perl 5.00404 - Label not found for "next " , next() function Liora Perl Misc 5 01-12-2007 03:36 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
advice for perl expert wanting to learn python Zeljko Vrba Python 13 08-24-2004 09:01 PM

Advertisments