Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 0.7.2 not launching Firefox 0.9.2 on new Windows/XP

Thunderbird 0.7.2 not launching Firefox 0.9.2 on new Windows/XP

Julian Knight

Unless I already have FF open, links in TB just wont launch! This is a brand new
installation of Windows/XP (with all MS updates) and new installations of TB and FF.

Hmm, though I did copy over the profile for TB from the old machine (I am
changing work laptops). I renamed all of the absolute file paths in prefs.js,
did I miss something?

There are no extensions installed as yet.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Jim K

Julian Knight wrote:

> Unless I already have FF open, links in TB just wont launch! This is a
> brand new installation of Windows/XP (with all MS updates) and new
> installations of TB and FF.
>
> Hmm, though I did copy over the profile for TB from the old machine (I
> am changing work laptops). I renamed all of the absolute file paths in
> prefs.js, did I miss something?
>
> There are no extensions installed as yet.

First, be sure Firefox is your default browser. Check Tools > Options >
General within Firefox to verify this.

Firefox currently does not do a good job of setting itself as the
default browser. If it isn't working properly, please visit this page
for an registry change to fix this issue. All of the changes are applied
by opening the .reg file, so there is no need to manually change any
registry settings.

Registry fix: <http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp>

Julian Knight

From Jim K on 14/Jul/2004 18:04:

> Julian Knight wrote:
>
>> Unless I already have FF open, links in TB just wont launch! This is a
>> brand new installation of Windows/XP (with all MS updates) and new
>> installations of TB and FF.
>>
>> Hmm, though I did copy over the profile for TB from the old machine (I
>> am changing work laptops). I renamed all of the absolute file paths in
>> prefs.js, did I miss something?
>>
>> There are no extensions installed as yet.
>>

> First, be sure Firefox is your default browser. Check Tools > Options >
> General within Firefox to verify this.
>
> Firefox currently does not do a good job of setting itself as the
> default browser. If it isn't working properly, please visit this page
> for an registry change to fix this issue. All of the changes are applied
> by opening the .reg file, so there is no need to manually change any
> registry settings.
>
> Registry fix: <http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_bug_246078.asp>

Thanks Jim. It seems to have fixed itself, though I think it may have been that
I installed TBE and used the DDE option. But I am still getting lots of errors
when launching from other apps so I will apply the registry fix anyway.