Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Authen::Smb and routing

Authen::Smb and routing

NerveGas@gmail.com

I have been charged with the task of authenticating against a Samba
server, and have found that Authen::Smb does the job just fine.
However, when trying to authenticate from a different network, I get an
error code of 1.

My first thought was that the SMB could not be routed, but have ruled
out any firewalling between the networks or on the hosts themselves.
Is it possible to authenticate through a routed network, or am I
spinning my wheels?

Martijn Lievaart

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:07:19 -0700, NerveGas wrote:

> I have been charged with the task of authenticating against a Samba
> server, and have found that Authen::Smb does the job just fine.
> However, when trying to authenticate from a different network, I get an
> error code of 1.
>
> My first thought was that the SMB could not be routed, but have ruled
> out any firewalling between the networks or on the hosts themselves.
> Is it possible to authenticate through a routed network, or am I
> spinning my wheels?

Depends. SMB can use many forms of name resolution. If it uses netbios
broadcasts, you need a WINS server to cross subnets. If it uses DNS (or
raw IPAs) it should work.

HTH,
M4
--
Redundancy is a great way to introduce more single points of failure.