Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Parsing and preserving comments

Parsing and preserving comments

Woland99

Hi - I need to parse proprietary language (very Java-like syntax) in
order
to automate population of data. It would not be a problem if those
source
files were entirely generated by a scrript - converting spreadsheet
into
source code. Problem is that when they maintained them by hand they
introduced a lot of comments inside the source code. And they want to
keep making changes by hand if necessary. So I need to parse it but
preserve comments and their position before script would add any new
data or modify current attributes of objects. Does anybody have any
suggestions beyond piling up a lot of pattern matching and hoping to
cover all the corner cases?

JT