Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Russel Quong's "Perl in 20 pages"

Russel Quong's "Perl in 20 pages"

Mister.Fred.Ma@gmail.com

Does anyone know where the latest version can be found? A cached
version of Document version 2001a is available at
http://tinyurl.com/h6c7d
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=1).
It's the latest I can find, but the server hosting the original is not
available. I haven't seen recent references to the document on Google
or Groups. Thanks.

Tad McClellan

> Does anyone know where the latest version can be found? A cached
> version of Document version 2001a is available at
> http://tinyurl.com/h6c7d

It says:

To Perl, lists and arrays are identical

while the Perl FAQ says:

What is the difference between a list and an array?

I would tend to believe the FAQ.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Paul Lalli

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Does anyone know where the latest version can be found? A cached
> version of Document version 2001a is available at
> http://tinyurl.com/h6c7d
> (http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=1).
> It's the latest I can find, but the server hosting the original is not
> available. I haven't seen recent references to the document on Google
> or Groups. Thanks.

Why would you want to use this? A cursory examination of the document
shows:
inconsistent usage of strict and warnings
inconsistent indentation
using terms "list" and "array" interchangably (Claiming that the
documentation does as well - when clearly the author has not grasped
the distinction between the terms)
Using bareword filehandles
Not checking return values of open()
Recommendations for C-Style for loops, with no mention of `for my $i
(0..$#array) { } `
Stating that undef has the "value" of the empty string
Using prototypes on subroutines
Using the English module without the '-no_match_vars' protector

..... at that point I stopped reading. Please don't use this document
to learn Perl. Please?

Paul Lalli

Uri Guttman

MFM> Does anyone know where the latest version can be found? A cached
MFM> version of Document version 2001a is available at
MFM> http://tinyurl.com/h6c7d
MFM> (http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=1).
MFM> It's the latest I can find, but the server hosting the original is not
MFM> available. I haven't seen recent references to the document on Google
MFM> or Groups. Thanks.

i love reading bad perl web tutes. this is as bad as they get. this
paragraph alone highlights the total confusion of the author. could he
have used any more hash synonyms?

A hash variable stores a array of (key, value) pairs,
collectively known as a map. Typically, the key and value are
different but related values, such as a person's name and phone
number. A hash is implemented in Perl so that you can quickly
look up the value given the key, when there are many (key,
value) pairs. From a algorithms/data structures standpoint, a
Perl hash implements a dictionary, mostly likely using a hash
table.

wow.

we do need to make a bad perl web tute site with links and reviews. in
my copious free time i will do this.

uri

David Squire

Mirco Wahab wrote:

> It now includes a comparison w/Python too - as a bonus ...
> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001...165434.32.html

Hey! That's off-topic here. It's about some language called 'Pearl'

DS

Paul Lalli

Mirco Wahab wrote:
> Thus spoke (E-Mail Removed) (on 2006-09-21 13:06):
>
> > Does anyone know where the latest version can be found? A cached
> > version of Document version 2001a is available at
> > http://tinyurl.com/h6c7d
> > (http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...a&ct=clnk&cd=1).
> > It's the latest I can find, but the server hosting the original is not
> > available.

> Ths has been updated lately and is now available
> in a *much* *much* better Version, *2.0* I'd guess.
>
> It now includes a comparison w/Python too - as a bonus ...
> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001...165434.32.html

That's *better*? Well, it's updated certainly, but it's still rife
with errors, misleading statements, and bias. I sincerely hope no
one's trying to learn either Perl or Python from drivel like this...

Paul Lalli

Emmanuel Florac

Le Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:50:07 +0200, Mirco Wahab a écrit*:

> Ths has been updated lately and is now available in a *much* *much* better
> Version, *2.0* I'd guess.

Actually, I'm afraid this article in some way tries tries (and
fails) to be funny. Too bad.

--
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate.
Guillaume d'Ockham.

Keith Keller

On 2006-09-21, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i love reading bad perl web tutes. this is as bad as they get. this
> paragraph alone highlights the total confusion of the author. could he
> have used any more hash synonyms?
>
> A hash variable stores a array of (key, value) pairs,
> collectively known as a map. Typically, the key and value are
> different but related values, such as a person's name and phone
> number. A hash is implemented in Perl so that you can quickly
> look up the value given the key, when there are many (key,
> value) pairs. From a algorithms/data structures standpoint, a
> Perl hash implements a dictionary, mostly likely using a hash
> table.

He forgot ''associative array''.

--keith

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

John Bokma

Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i love reading bad perl web tutes. this is as bad as they get. this
> paragraph alone highlights the total confusion of the author. could he
> have used any more hash synonyms?

yes!

> A hash variable stores a array of (key, value) pairs,
> collectively known as a map. Typically, the key and value are
> different but related values, such as a person's name and phone
> number. A hash is implemented in Perl so that you can quickly
> look up the value given the key, when there are many (key,
> value) pairs. From a algorithms/data structures standpoint, a
> Perl hash implements a dictionary, mostly likely using a hash
> table.

associative array, look up table, index

A hash variable stores a array of (key, value) pairs,
collectively known as a map. Typically, the key and value are
different but related values, such as a person's name and phone
number. An associative array is implemented in Perl so that you can
quickly look up the value given the key, when there are many (key,
value) pairs in this look up table. From a algorithms/data
structures standpoint, a Perl index implements a dictionary, mostly
likely using a hash table.

>:->

> we do need to make a bad perl web tute site with links and reviews. in
> my copious free time i will do this.

I will review
<http://visibooks.com/pdfs/TheVisibooksGuidetoPERLBasics50.pdf>

^^^^ Yes, the title says
it all.

next week when I am hopefully recovered of the first glance at this book
excerpt.

Tad McClellan

David Squire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mirco Wahab wrote:
>
>> It now includes a comparison w/Python too - as a bonus ...
>> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001...165434.32.html

> Hey! That's off-topic here. It's about some language called 'Pearl'

Such a language does exist, which is why Larry left the "a" out
of the name of his language:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEARL_programming_language

It sure doesn't seem something that could be compared to Python though...