Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Failed installing Win32::DirSize on Windows XP

Failed installing Win32::DirSize on Windows XP

MoshiachNow

Hi,
Tried installing the Win32:irSize module on my Windows XP using CPAN-
-failed due to lack of C-compiler.
When searching for it using ppm - it does not seem to find it.

Could anybody advise ?
Thanks

Sisyphus

"MoshiachNow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi,
> Tried installing the Win32:irSize module on my Windows XP using CPAN-
> -failed due to lack of C-compiler.
> When searching for it using ppm - it does not seem to find it.

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Win32-DirSize.ppd

See http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppmdir.html for a complete listing of ppm
packages available from there.

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

"Christian Winter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45051220$0$18495$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> MoshiachNow wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Tried installing the Win32:irSize module on my Windows XP using CPAN-
> > -failed due to lack of C-compiler.
> > When searching for it using ppm - it does not seem to find it.
> >
> > Could anybody advise ?

> For Perl 5.8.7 (AS Perl build 813) it's there, but for the older
> 5.8.3 (build 809) it's missing from the repository.
> Doing "repos add BdP http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm"
> within ppm should help you (and provide some more packages
> that the original ActiveState repository is missing).
> (At this point: thanks to J-L Morel for saving us quite a bit
> of compiling work).
>
> HTH
> -Chris

According to http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-W.html version 1.13
failed to build for ActiveState. If you click on the "FAIL" link you'll find
the reason being:

Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory

There's something odd about that distro. If you go to
http://search.cpan.org/~arich/Win32-DirSize-1.13/ there's no mention there
of anything other than a readme and a pm file. Normally there would be a
link to the Manifest and the Makefile.PL (among others). Perhaps that has
somehow led to the ActiveState automated build procedure failing to find the
Makefile.PL (which is definitely present in the distro).

Weird ...

Cheers,
Rob