Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > xslt ?

xslt ?

surf

I had tried to work with XLST a few years ago. I got some simple stuff
to work, then I started playing with perl XML parsers and the xml:twig
module in perl. All of this stuff I really liked, so I forgot about
working with xlst which to me didn't seem like the way to go,
especially if it got very complex. I'm not sure why anyone would want
to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?

However, now I realize I have to know what to say in an interview. A
recruiter did a phone interview with me and asked me about xlst. I told
him I thought it was rather weak compared to what perl modules can do,
but if I had to do it, I've played with it and have a book on it. I
perhaps have to figure out how to answer these kinds of questions, or
ask myself do I really want to have to write XSLT anyway if they did
hire me someplace that expects you to do it that way ?

John Bokma

"surf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> However, now I realize I have to know what to say in an interview. A
> recruiter did a phone interview with me and asked me about xlst. I told
> him I thought it was rather weak compared to what perl modules can do,
> but if I had to do it, I've played with it and have a book on it. I
> perhaps have to figure out how to answer these kinds of questions, or
> ask myself do I really want to have to write XSLT anyway if they did
> hire me someplace that expects you to do it that way ?

There is no simple answer, sometimes XSLT is better and sometimes Perl.
Only when you learn both you are able to answer questions like when one is
better compared to the other. I do recommend to learn XSLT.

Matt Garrish

surf wrote:

> I had tried to work with XLST a few years ago. I got some simple stuff
> to work, then I started playing with perl XML parsers and the xml:twig
> module in perl. All of this stuff I really liked, so I forgot about
> working with xlst which to me didn't seem like the way to go,
> especially if it got very complex. I'm not sure why anyone would want
> to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?

You're so behind the times. Everyone is using RXParse for their XML
these days. Be sure and tell your recruiter.

Matt

Tad McClellan

surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not sure why anyone would want
> to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?

One Reason:

XSLT is optimized for machines rather than for humans.

Let's haul this back on-topic:

Contrast that with Perl, which is optimized for humans at the
expense of the machine (throwing cycles and memory at a problem).

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

surf

Matt Garrish wrote:
> surf wrote:
>
> > I had tried to work with XLST a few years ago. I got some simple stuff
> > to work, then I started playing with perl XML parsers and the xml:twig
> > module in perl. All of this stuff I really liked, so I forgot about
> > working with xlst which to me didn't seem like the way to go,
> > especially if it got very complex. I'm not sure why anyone would want
> > to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?
> >

> You're so behind the times. Everyone is using RXParse for their XML
> these days. Be sure and tell your recruiter.
>
> Matt

Under jobs on boston craigslist I searched for xslt and got 222 hits,
I got none for RXParse. That doesn't mean it isn't great, just that no
one in boston is looking to hire anyone based on that unless it's a
tool that is part of some other application.

surf

Tad McClellan wrote:
> surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I'm not sure why anyone would want
> > to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?

> One Reason:
>
> XSLT is optimized for machines rather than for humans.
>

> Let's haul this back on-topic:
>
> Contrast that with Perl, which is optimized for humans at the
> expense of the machine (throwing cycles and memory at a problem).

I'm not an xslt expert, but you need to elaborate on that. Obviously
programming in assembly language is not very popular, although it might
be optimized for machines.

Since humans write code for machines, humans need languages as well,
and when problems get very complex, high level languages can provide
many usefull features to help humans. I once replaced a sort done in
assembly language with a sort done in pascal. The pascal sort turned
out to be faster because it was a better sort algorithm, and the
assembly code was hard to figure out what it did anyway.

Tad McClellan

surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Matt Garrish wrote:
>> surf wrote:
>>
>> > I had tried to work with XLST a few years ago. I got some simple stuff
>> > to work, then I started playing with perl XML parsers and the xml:twig
>> > module in perl. All of this stuff I really liked, so I forgot about
>> > working with xlst which to me didn't seem like the way to go,
>> > especially if it got very complex. I'm not sure why anyone would want
>> > to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?
>> >

>> You're so behind the times. Everyone is using RXParse for their XML
>> these days. Be sure and tell your recruiter.
>>
>> Matt

> Under jobs on boston craigslist I searched for xslt and got 222 hits,
> I got none for RXParse. That doesn't mean it isn't great, just that no
> one in boston is looking to hire anyone based on that unless it's a
> tool that is part of some other application.

Matt's post was an (inside) joke. He should have put a smiley in it.

RXParse is an abomination of a hack, written by a troll that
posts here from time to time.

I wouldn't mention it to a recruiter.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Tad McClellan

surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tad McClellan wrote:
>> surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> > I'm not sure why anyone would want
>> > to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?

>> One Reason:
>>
>> XSLT is optimized for machines rather than for humans.
>>

>> Let's haul this back on-topic:
>>
>> Contrast that with Perl, which is optimized for humans at the
>> expense of the machine (throwing cycles and memory at a problem).
>>

> I'm not an xslt expert, but you need to elaborate on that.

^^^^
^^^^
No I don't.

> Obviously
> programming in assembly language is not very popular, although it might
> be optimized for machines.

I don't need to elaborate on what I said.

I might need to elaborate on why XSLT is popular though.

Here's my stab at it: platform independence.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas

David H. Adler

On 2006-08-24, surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Matt Garrish wrote:
>> surf wrote:
>>
>> > I had tried to work with XLST a few years ago. I got some simple stuff
>> > to work, then I started playing with perl XML parsers and the xml:twig
>> > module in perl. All of this stuff I really liked, so I forgot about
>> > working with xlst which to me didn't seem like the way to go,
>> > especially if it got very complex. I'm not sure why anyone would want
>> > to write a program of any sort in XML anyway ?
>> >

>> You're so behind the times. Everyone is using RXParse for their XML
>> these days. Be sure and tell your recruiter.
>>
>> Matt

> Under jobs on boston craigslist I searched for xslt and got 222 hits,
> I got none for RXParse. That doesn't mean it isn't great, just that no
> one in boston is looking to hire anyone based on that unless it's a
> tool that is part of some other application.

If you search the archives for this newsgroup, you will see that Matt
was almost certainly applying for the job of "sarcasm".

dha

--
David H. Adler - <(E-Mail Removed)> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
All hail El Cabeza Del Oro! <http://www.panix.com/~dha/elcabeza.html>

surf

Tad McClellan wrote:
> surf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Tad McClellan wrote:

> >> One Reason:
> >>
> >> XSLT is optimized for machines rather than for humans.
> >>

> >> Let's haul this back on-topic:
> >>
> >> Contrast that with Perl, which is optimized for humans at the
> >> expense of the machine (throwing cycles and memory at a problem).
> >>

> > I'm not an xslt expert, but you need to elaborate on that.

> ^^^^
> ^^^^
> No I don't.
>

> > Obviously
> > programming in assembly language is not very popular, although it might
> > be optimized for machines.

> I don't need to elaborate on what I said.
>
> I might need to elaborate on why XSLT is popular though.
>
> Here's my stab at it: platform independence.

I'd like to have a look at a complex xlst example if I could find one.

My suspicion is that people don't want to learn perl just to transform
xml,
although if you allready know perl, it would probably do a better job
and is available on most machines.