Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to install module when I am not allowed to install moudule in system directory?

How to install module when I am not allowed to install moudule in system directory?

Matt Garrish

pegasus wrote:

[please stop top-posting]

> > If you download the package manually, you can do it this way:
> >
> > perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/username/usr/local
> > make
> > make install
> > make test
> >

> Must those commands be executed in Unix?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd9y37ha.aspx

If you don't have it available, you're going to have to get your admin
to install it. If your admin won't install it then it sounds like you
need to find another environment to work in.

Matt

Paul Lalli

pegasus wrote:
> I tried to execute CPAN in windows by typing "perl -MCPAN -e shell" but
> I failed.

That error description is not helpful. HOW did it fail? What error
message did you see? What output did you see?

> but it works in Linux. But still I can't install a module by
> the command "o conf makepl_arg PREFIX="/mydic/perl/lib""

That command does not install any module. It sets the arguments for
the `perl Makefile.PL` command that cpan runs for you.

> . confusing.
>
> I wonder how can use CPAN shell in Windows? what's the command?

perl -MCPAN -e "shell"
works fine for me (note the quotes).

But as others have said, you will need a Windows version of 'make' in
order for CPAN to do anything for you.

Paul Lalli

pegasus

To Paul Lalli:

I typed <perl -MCPAN -e "shell"> or <perl -MCPAN -e shell> in windows,
it respond:
Cannot open >C:\Perl\lib\CPAN\Config.pm at c:/Perl/lib/CPAN.pm line
1162"

It seems that it doesn't work here. Any advisory?

Paul Lalli wrote:
> pegasus wrote:
> > I tried to execute CPAN in windows by typing "perl -MCPAN -e shell" but
> > I failed.

> That error description is not helpful. HOW did it fail? What error
> message did you see? What output did you see?
>
> > but it works in Linux. But still I can't install a module by
> > the command "o conf makepl_arg PREFIX="/mydic/perl/lib""

> That command does not install any module. It sets the arguments for
> the `perl Makefile.PL` command that cpan runs for you.
>
> > . confusing.
> >
> > I wonder how can use CPAN shell in Windows? what's the command?

> perl -MCPAN -e "shell"
> works fine for me (note the quotes).
>
> But as others have said, you will need a Windows version of 'make' in
> order for CPAN to do anything for you.
>
> Paul Lalli

Paul Lalli

pegasus wrote:
> To Paul Lalli:
>
> I typed <perl -MCPAN -e "shell"> or <perl -MCPAN -e shell> in windows,
> it respond:
> Cannot open >C:\Perl\lib\CPAN\Config.pm at c:/Perl/lib/CPAN.pm line
> 1162"
>
> It seems that it doesn't work here. Any advisory?

Your installation of Perl seems very broken. I advise reinstalling it.

Paul Lalli