Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can Outlook 2000's address book be imported into Thunderbird?

Can Outlook 2000's address book be imported into Thunderbird?

Galaxy

I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
Thunderbird.

Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?

Thanks.

Bev

"Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
> book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
> Thunderbird.
>
> Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?

I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I think
I did one of the following.

Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import those from
Thunderbird.

Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.

Good luck!

Bev

Bev

"Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
> book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
> Thunderbird.
>
> Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?

I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I think
I did one of the following.

Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import those from
Thunderbird.

Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.

Good luck!

Bev

Julian Knight

From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:

> "Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
>>book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
>>Thunderbird.
>>
>>Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?
>>

> I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
> work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I think
> I did one of the following.
>
> Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import those from
> Thunderbird.
>
> Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
> save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.

Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding several address
books in several PST files, imported all of them into their own folders in TB
and didn't overwrite my existing entries!

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom

William W. Plummer

Julian Knight wrote:
> From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:
>
>> "Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
>>> book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
>>> Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?
>>>

>> I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
>> work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I
>> think
>> I did one of the following.
>>
>> Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import
>> those from
>> Thunderbird.
>>
>> Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
>> save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.
>>

> Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding several
> address books in several PST files, imported all of them into their own
> folders in TB and didn't overwrite my existing entries!

I was successful at importing everything (Contacts, Favorites, Mail
files) from Outlook 2000 on Win2000. But failed on Outlook97 on Win98ME.

Julian Knight

From William W. Plummer on 14/Jul/2004 17:51:
> Julian Knight wrote:
>
>> From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:
>>
>>> "Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
>>> work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I
>>> think
>>> I did one of the following.
>>>
>>> Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import
>>> those from
>>> Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
>>> save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.
>>>

>> Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding
>> several address books in several PST files, imported all of them into
>> their own folders in TB and didn't overwrite my existing entries!
>>

> I was successful at importing everything (Contacts, Favorites, Mail
> files) from Outlook 2000 on Win2000. But failed on Outlook97 on Win98ME.

Ahh, I am using 2003 on XP - sorry.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Security, Directory, Messaging, Network & PC Consultant
Instant Messaging:Jabber=(E-Mail Removed), Yahoo!=knighjm

Steven Henson

Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10

"Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
"mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."

Hope this helps!

Steven

Galaxy

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:41:42 +0100, Steven Henson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10
>
>"Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
>which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
>programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
>"mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."
>

>Hope this helps!

Thanks, Steve. I realized with your answer that I don't think I
reported back.

I use Outlook 2000 in corporate mode so that I can use the PAB format
for address books. It's frowned upon, a bit, though I don't know why
but it makes for excellent portability. But having this type of
external address book is what was putting a monkey wrench into things.

But easy to fix.

I "imported" the PAB address book file into the empty contacts folder
in Outlook. Once that was done, _then_ Thunderbird imported perfectly
easily. It was because it wasn't internally available, as it were, in
Outlook which is why Thunderbird couldn't detect it.

However, I've gone back to using Outlook 2000. Though Firefox is an
excellent substitute for IE, TB is too lightweight an email client and
I couldn't even begin to replace half of Outlooks functions with it.

I use it for my ISP mail, though. I split the functions between it
and O2K and O2K is now what handles my yahoo groups mail (which is
about 5 to 10 megs of mail a day so I needed a robust email client to
still handle this).

Thanks.

Steven Henson

Galaxy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:41:42 +0100, Steven Henson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10
>>
>>"Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
>>which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
>>programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
>>"mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."
>>

>>Hope this helps!

> Thanks, Steve. I realized with your answer that I don't think I
> reported back.
>
> I use Outlook 2000 in corporate mode so that I can use the PAB format
> for address books. It's frowned upon, a bit, though I don't know why
> but it makes for excellent portability. But having this type of
> external address book is what was putting a monkey wrench into things.
>
> But easy to fix.
>
> I "imported" the PAB address book file into the empty contacts folder
> in Outlook. Once that was done, _then_ Thunderbird imported perfectly
> easily. It was because it wasn't internally available, as it were, in
> Outlook which is why Thunderbird couldn't detect it.
>
> However, I've gone back to using Outlook 2000. Though Firefox is an
> excellent substitute for IE, TB is too lightweight an email client and
> I couldn't even begin to replace half of Outlooks functions with it.
>
> I use it for my ISP mail, though. I split the functions between it
> and O2K and O2K is now what handles my yahoo groups mail (which is
> about 5 to 10 megs of mail a day so I needed a robust email client to
> still handle this).
>
> Thanks.

Thanks Galaxy for your report.

No mail client working with MS Exchange is going to be able to
incorporate the features of Outlook in Corporate mode. In fact I am not
aware of any other mail client that will run with Exchange in Corporate
mode. Microsoft knew what they were doing when they created Outlook as
their Exchange Server client.

However TB will work in POP / IMAP mode with Exchange.

What I don't like about Outlook in POP mode is the over reliance of pst
files - which can and do corrupt from time - whereas it appears to be
quite straightforward to backup TB mails and restore then. I prefer the
simplicity of this process as opposed to the reliance on a single pst file.

That said I often work off-line with my Outlook using ost files and that
works a treat.

I do like junk mail handing in TB and the fact that executable
attachments cannot run without user intervention. Makes me feel safer
about handling the tons on mails I get each day.

Its horses for courses I guess...but overall I prefer the open approach
that Mozilla taking and it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I
can get support for the entire Mozilla community if I get things work.

Steven