Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > using session managment in perl

using session managment in perl

Ben Morrow

Quoth "madan" <(E-Mail Removed)>:
<snip illiterate wibble>

Please stop changing your From: address.

Ben

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Groucho Marx

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

madan wrote:
> think CGI.pm is part of perl and how does that move away from this
> group topic....

It doesn't. But discussing alternative techniques for session management
is off-topic. (One appropriate group for such a discussion is
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi.)

Helping out to code it in Perl would be on-topic, though.

> if at all u know the logic please do post

As Sinan explained, cookies are typically used for session management.
There are CPAN modules available for such solutions.

> i need to create sessions but not using cookies...

[OT: Then you can use hidden form fields.]

Please feel free to come back if you would encounter difficulties when
coding whatever route you decide to go. But first, please study and
follow the clpmisc posting guidelines:
http://www.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clp...uidelines.html

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Mumia W.

On 07/25/2006 11:19 PM, madan wrote:
> [...]
> i need to create sessions but not using cookies...
> [...]

Sorry, you'll almost certainly have to use at least one cookie
for sessions to work[0].

These modules may help you with sessions:
CGI::Session
Storable
FreezeThaw
Data:umper

--
[0] Unless you use URL session id's--very complicated.

Ted Zlatanov

On 26 Jul 2006, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> k..i am using perl 5.6 on windows using apache server....
>
> i need to create sessions but not using cookies...

I think you should look at the HTTP specification. You'll see why
session management without cookies is very difficult - HTTP is a
stateless (mostly) protocol. Perl has lots of ways to deal with
cookies, and you'll have to learn them. If you are under Apache and
just starting to write your code, you can also consider mod_perl,
which usually has better performance, and has built-in facilities for
a lot of the session management. If your code is mostly written
already, it may be difficult to move it to mod_perl if you don't have
a lot of Perl experience.

Ted

Tad McClellan

madan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> guyz please...
>
> i was just asking for help from u but not to argue

Please choose one posting address and stick with it.

It is difficult to killfile your moving target.

Thank you.

> if at all u know the logic please do post ...but dont just say its
> totally junk for this group..

It's totally junk for this group.

(I don't take direction very well.)

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

ad managment Eirik Eldorsen ASP .Net 3 02-07-2005 04:50 PM
Cassini web server and session state managment Paul Fi ASP .Net 0 09-10-2004 04:31 AM
Bug Tracking/Change managment software Mike ASP .Net 1 04-13-2004 11:29 PM
State managment Vik ASP .Net 3 02-04-2004 03:46 AM
Managment/traffic sniffer? Oystein Cisco 1 11-04-2003 07:04 AM

Advertisments