Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mail to trash

Mail to trash

Nobody

I've been running Moz 1.5 for quite some time (almost a year on the
current PC with WinXP Home Edition) with "junk" filters on the mail
component set to turf any message from a sender not in my personal
address book into the JUNK folder under my <user name>.

For the past week, I've noticed that some of the unwanted mail (two or
three items out of 50 or so) is being dumped into TRASH folder under
<Local Folders>.

No big deal as it's all trash, but as I've not changed any settings,
I'm curious as to why Moz is doing it. Haven't had any system crash
or virii attacks either.

Moz Champion

Nobody wrote:

> I've been running Moz 1.5 for quite some time (almost a year on the
> current PC with WinXP Home Edition) with "junk" filters on the mail
> component set to turf any message from a sender not in my personal
> address book into the JUNK folder under my <user name>.
>
> For the past week, I've noticed that some of the unwanted mail (two or
> three items out of 50 or so) is being dumped into TRASH folder under
> <Local Folders>.
>
> No big deal as it's all trash, but as I've not changed any settings,
> I'm curious as to why Moz is doing it. Haven't had any system crash
> or virii attacks either.

Are you sure that these were email messages, and that they were filtered by JMC?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Nobody

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:57:56 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>
>> I've been running Moz 1.5 for quite some time (almost a year on the
>> current PC with WinXP Home Edition) with "junk" filters on the mail
>> component set to turf any message from a sender not in my personal
>> address book into the JUNK folder under my <user name>.
>>
>> For the past week, I've noticed that some of the unwanted mail (two or
>> three items out of 50 or so) is being dumped into TRASH folder under
>> <Local Folders>.
>>
>> No big deal as it's all trash, but as I've not changed any settings,
>> I'm curious as to why Moz is doing it. Haven't had any system crash
>> or virii attacks either.

>Are you sure that these were email messages, and that they were filtered by JMC?

Yes. They're e-mail messages that even my ISP identifies as spam.

Presumably by JMC, you mean Junk Mail Control.

Currently, I receive ~50 spam messages a day... unfortunately, my real
address "got out" into cyberspace and as it's a special handle I'm
loath to change it.

So, the situation is that out of that 50 or so, 95% go correctly into
the JUNK folder of my <user name> but the rest end up in the TRASH
folder of <Local Folders> whereas all used to go into the JUNK folder.

Very strange... but not the end of the world.

Moz Champion

Nobody wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:57:56 GMT, Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Nobody wrote:
>>

>>>I've been running Moz 1.5 for quite some time (almost a year on the
>>>current PC with WinXP Home Edition) with "junk" filters on the mail
>>>component set to turf any message from a sender not in my personal
>>>address book into the JUNK folder under my <user name>.
>>>
>>>For the past week, I've noticed that some of the unwanted mail (two or
>>>three items out of 50 or so) is being dumped into TRASH folder under
>>><Local Folders>.
>>>
>>>No big deal as it's all trash, but as I've not changed any settings,
>>>I'm curious as to why Moz is doing it. Haven't had any system crash
>>>or virii attacks either.

>>Are you sure that these were email messages, and that they were filtered by JMC?

> Yes. They're e-mail messages that even my ISP identifies as spam.
>
> Presumably by JMC, you mean Junk Mail Control.
>
> Currently, I receive ~50 spam messages a day... unfortunately, my real
> address "got out" into cyberspace and as it's a special handle I'm
> loath to change it.
>
> So, the situation is that out of that 50 or so, 95% go correctly into
> the JUNK folder of my <user name> but the rest end up in the TRASH
> folder of <Local Folders> whereas all used to go into the JUNK folder.
>
> Very strange... but not the end of the world.

Well, a 95% catch ratio isnt bad, not bad at all.

Um, there is a setting in JMC (Junk Mail Control) that moves messages manually marked as Junk to any folder, are you sure you didnt select the Local Folders Trash by mistake?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Nobody

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:08:20 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:57:56 GMT, Moz Champion
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Are you sure that these were email messages, and that they were filtered by JMC?

>> Yes. They're e-mail messages that even my ISP identifies as spam.
>>
>> Presumably by JMC, you mean Junk Mail Control.
>>
>> Currently, I receive ~50 spam messages a day... unfortunately, my real
>> address "got out" into cyberspace and as it's a special handle I'm
>> loath to change it.
>>
>> So, the situation is that out of that 50 or so, 95% go correctly into
>> the JUNK folder of my <user name> but the rest end up in the TRASH
>> folder of <Local Folders> whereas all used to go into the JUNK folder.
>>
>> Very strange... but not the end of the world.

>Well, a 95% catch ratio isnt bad, not bad at all.
>
>Um, there is a setting in JMC (Junk Mail Control) that moves messages manually marked as Junk to any folder, are you sure you didnt select the Local Folders Trash by mistake?

No... this "split personality" situation happens as I'm downloading
messages from my ISP. I usually only check for mail on this PC, my
home machine, once a day.

The way I discovered what was happening was wondering why, if my ISP
told me there were say 50 messages to be downloaded, there would only
be 45-46 going into my <user name> folders, either as true messages
iinto my inbox or spam into junk. It was only by opening the list of
folders in <Local Folders> that I stumbled on where the others were
going.

So far no "real" messges have gone there!

Thanks for your interest.

Yahoo mail goin to trash can Lynz NZ Computing 1 08-30-2011 09:44 PM
Trash File db48060@earthlink.net Firefox 4 12-13-2005 05:54 PM
TB messages in trash Steve IA Firefox 1 11-11-2004 04:27 PM
Thunderbird 0.7.3: automatically empty local folders trash on exit? Wolfgang Kern Firefox 7 08-07-2004 08:07 AM
Trash, Sent, Draft, etc folders? William W. Plummer Firefox 1 07-05-2004 06:33 PM

Advertisments