Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade

Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade

ben.wilder@gmail.com

Hi all,

Perl N00b here in need of a bit of kind assistance!

I am attempting to upgrade Perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 on Fedora Core 4

I have performed the following:

Run: perl -V to get the version (5.8.6)
Downloaded perl version 5.8.8 and untarred
Run: ./Configure -des -Uusethreads
Run: make
Run: make test
Run: make install

All goes well - how do i alter my installation to now use this version
of perl, as running perl -V returns the same version information?

Many thanks for any help!

Ben

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hi all,
>
> Perl N00b here in need of a bit of kind assistance!
>
> I am attempting to upgrade Perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 on Fedora Core 4
>
> I have performed the following:
>
> Run: perl -V to get the version (5.8.6)
> Downloaded perl version 5.8.8 and untarred
> Run: ./Configure -des -Uusethreads
> Run: make
> Run: make test
> Run: make install
>
> All goes well - how do i alter my installation to now use this version
> of perl, as running perl -V returns the same version information?

That should already have happened. Check your path. Normally (but not
always), the new version is installed as /usr/bin/perl. What does
"which perl" say?

Anno

ben.wilder@gmail.com

Hi Anno,

Thanks for the reply,

the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows

/usr/local/bin/perl

interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

Thanks

Ben

anno4000@radom.zrz.tu-berlin.de

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hi Anno,
>
> Thanks for the reply,

What reply? I wrote seven or ten replies since yesterday -- which one
are you referring to? Please supply attributions and some context with
your reply.

> the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
>
> /usr/local/bin/perl

Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.

> interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
> this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
> is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
> make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

That's a question about your system, not about Perl. Since you have told
us little about your system I can only guess. Perhaps you have a csh-like
shell that needs a "rehash" to honor changes in the actual environment.
Who knows.

Anno

ben.wilder@gmail.com

Anno,

Thanks very much for you reply to my message dated Wed, Jul 5 2006
11:40 am Re: Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade.

I'll investigate the issue regarding the version change of perl showing
5.8.6 even after the upgrade, your comments are much appreciated.

Answers much like i have come to expect from the open source community.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> > Hi Anno,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply,

> What reply? I wrote seven or ten replies since yesterday -- which one
> are you referring to? Please supply attributions and some context with
> your reply.
>
> > the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/perl

> Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.
>
> > interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
> > this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
> > is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
> > make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

> That's a question about your system, not about Perl. Since you have told
> us little about your system I can only guess. Perhaps you have a csh-like
> shell that needs a "rehash" to honor changes in the actual environment.
> Who knows.
>
> Anno

Dr.Ruud

anno4000 schreef:
> ben.wilder:

>> the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/perl

> Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.

Big chance that /usr/bin/perl is a hardlink to /usr/local/bin/perl.

See "which -a perl" too.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."