Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Newbie precompile/PPM question

Newbie precompile/PPM question

Jockser

Hello, I'm trying to install Template-Toolkit-2.15.
This is my first time dealling with Perl and have only done a very little
with VB, and Jscript before. I've noticed that the normail instructions for
installing it fail due to me running on a WinXP system. I think I have to
use a precompiled version of Template Tookit to get it installed via PPM but
I'm coming up short on where to down load a precompiled version.

If someone could tell me where to get a precompiled version, or how to
compile it myself, or if I'm off my rocker and just need to do something
totally different to get this thing work, that would be great.

Thanks

John Bokma

"Jockser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to install Template-Toolkit-2.15.
> This is my first time dealling with Perl and have only done a very
> little with VB, and Jscript before. I've noticed that the normail
> instructions for installing it fail due to me running on a WinXP
> system. I think I have to use a precompiled version of Template
> Tookit to get it installed via PPM but I'm coming up short on where to
> down load a precompiled version.
>
> If someone could tell me where to get a precompiled version, or how to
> compile it myself, or if I'm off my rocker and just need to do
> something totally different to get this thing work, that would be
> great.

C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Template-Toolkit.ppd

might do the trick.

--
John Bokma Freelance software developer
&

Jockser

Thanks for the try John, but it seems to point back out to a URL that
doesn't have the package any more
Here is what I get.

ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Template-Toolkit.p
Error: Failed to download URL
http://openinteract.sourceforge.net/AppConfig.ppd: 404 Not Found

Also AppConfig is a requirement for Template Toolkit so I tried to install
it via http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
Here is what I get with that one:

ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd
Error: Failed to download URL
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd: 404 Not Found

Looks like I'll have to keep hunting or figure out a way to create this PPM
some how with the normal source.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

"John Bokma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Jockser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm trying to install Template-Toolkit-2.15.
>> This is my first time dealling with Perl and have only done a very
>> little with VB, and Jscript before. I've noticed that the normail
>> instructions for installing it fail due to me running on a WinXP
>> system. I think I have to use a precompiled version of Template
>> Tookit to get it installed via PPM but I'm coming up short on where to
>> down load a precompiled version.
>>
>> If someone could tell me where to get a precompiled version, or how to
>> compile it myself, or if I'm off my rocker and just need to do
>> something totally different to get this thing work, that would be
>> great.

> C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Template-Toolkit.ppd
>
> might do the trick.
>
> --
> John Bokma Freelance software developer
> &
> Experienced Perl programmer: http://castleamber.com/

Jockser

Did some more digging around and finally found it under:

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin...n:/PPMServer58

Thanks, wouldn't have gotten that far with out your help.

"Jockser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the try John, but it seems to point back out to a URL that
> doesn't have the package any more
> Here is what I get.
>
> ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Template-Toolkit.p
> Error: Failed to download URL
> http://openinteract.sourceforge.net/AppConfig.ppd: 404 Not Found
>

> Also AppConfig is a requirement for Template Toolkit so I tried to install
> it via http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
> Here is what I get with that one:
>
> ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd
> Error: Failed to download URL
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd: 404 Not Found
>
> Looks like I'll have to keep hunting or figure out a way to create this
> PPM some how with the normal source.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> "John Bokma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Jockser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I'm trying to install Template-Toolkit-2.15.
>>> This is my first time dealling with Perl and have only done a very
>>> little with VB, and Jscript before. I've noticed that the normail
>>> instructions for installing it fail due to me running on a WinXP
>>> system. I think I have to use a precompiled version of Template
>>> Tookit to get it installed via PPM but I'm coming up short on where to
>>> down load a precompiled version.
>>>
>>> If someone could tell me where to get a precompiled version, or how to
>>> compile it myself, or if I'm off my rocker and just need to do
>>> something totally different to get this thing work, that would be
>>> great.

>> C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Template-Toolkit.ppd
>>
>> might do the trick.
>>
>> --
>> John Bokma Freelance software developer
>> &
>> Experienced Perl programmer: http://castleamber.com/

Bart Lateur

Jockser wrote:

>ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd
>Error: Failed to download URL
>http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd: 404 Not Found

It would help if you used the proper case - internet URLs are case
sensitive.

mgarrish@gmail.com

Bart Lateur wrote:

> Jockser wrote:
>
> >ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd
> >Error: Failed to download URL
> >http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd: 404 Not Found

> It would help if you used the proper case - internet URLs are case
> sensitive.
>
> <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/AppConfig.ppd>

That depends on the underlying server/OS, and isn't even true in the
strictest of senses as domains are never case sensitive.

Matt

anno4000@zrz.tu-berlin.de

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Bart Lateur wrote:
>
> > Jockser wrote:
> >
> > >ppm> install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd
> > >Error: Failed to download URL
> > >http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/appconfig.ppd: 404 Not Found

> > It would help if you used the proper case - internet URLs are case
> > sensitive.
> >
> > <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/AppConfig.ppd>
> >

> That depends on the underlying server/OS,

A server can decide to serve the same data for different URLs. That
doesn't make the URLs equivalent.

> and isn't even true in the
> strictest of senses as domains are never case sensitive.

So? The domain is only part of a URL. The rest of it is still
case-sensitive.

Anno