Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to pronounce $

How to pronounce $

Hobo Salesman

I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
fear it's making an ass of myself.

How do you pronounce $, in the context of it defining a variable? When
I was 10 years old or so and starting programming in basic foo$ was a
string of text, so now for me "$"="string" whenever I see the damn
thing. Now in perl I see $x=1 and a voice in my head says "string x
equals one", which makes me a feel a little daft because unlike basic
the same type holds strings and integers.

"Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
foo", "array foo", etc?

supercrazy74@gmail.com

Hobo Salesman wrote:
> I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
> fear it's making an ass of myself.
>
> How do you pronounce $, in the context of it defining a variable? When
> I was 10 years old or so and starting programming in basic foo$ was a
> string of text, so now for me "$"="string" whenever I see the damn
> thing. Now in perl I see $x=1 and a voice in my head says "string x
> equals one", which makes me a feel a little daft because unlike basic
> the same type holds strings and integers.
>
> "Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
> foo", "array foo", etc?

I would pronounce it as it is, a scalar. So I would say $x=1 as scalar
x equals one. (By the way, if you didnt know, a scalar (a variable
prefixed with $) holds more than just strings and integers.)

Hobo Salesman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
: fear it's making an ass of myself.

: How do you pronounce $, in the context of it defining a variable?

: "Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
: foo", "array foo", etc?

Virtually a question self answered. The mnemonics go really as
$calar and @rray (there is no nice catch for the %ash, though).

Read more about pronouncable and/or memorizable names of weird characters
in perldoc perlvar.

Oliver.

--
Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de

Hobo Salesman

Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> I sympathize. Due to my own unfortunate (read: catastrophic) TRS-80
> BASIC incident years back, I too still find myself pronouncing '$' as
> "string"... even in Perl.

Ha, thanks, now I don't feel so bad. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a
throwback from a respectable language, but I feel like if I said it to
someone they'd roll their eyes and expect my next question to be what
Perl's equivalent of "goto" is...

HS

Dr.Ruud

ITYM: $calar and @rray

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Tad McClellan

Hobo Salesman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
> fear it's making an ass of myself.

I can testify from extensive first-hand experience that embarrassing
yourself in front of hundreds of people is a very good way to
"internalize" lessons.

The general pronounciations are "$calar foo" and "@rray foo".

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Ben Morrow

Quoth "Hobo Salesman" <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > I sympathize. Due to my own unfortunate (read: catastrophic) TRS-80
> > BASIC incident years back, I too still find myself pronouncing '$' as
> > "string"... even in Perl.

> Ha, thanks, now I don't feel so bad. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a
> throwback from a respectable language, but I feel like if I said it to
> someone they'd roll their eyes and expect my next question to be what
> Perl's equivalent of "goto" is...

Err... goto ?

Now, GOSUB is a different matter... (/me cringes in recollection)

Ben

Mystics and saints | Than ever was born
(E-Mail Removed) The Levellers, 'Believers'

Hobo Salesman

Ben Morrow wrote:
> Err... goto ?
>
> Now, GOSUB is a different matter... (/me cringes in recollection)

Goto is the same as gosub except it never returns.