Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Encoding transformation problems

Encoding transformation problems

Νίκος

Well finally my aproach was that:

my @files = <../data/text/*.txt>;
my @display_files = map /([^\/]+)\.txt/, @files;
Encode::from_to($_, "ISO-8859-7", "utf8") for @display_files;

print br;
print start_form( action=>'index.pl' );
print h1( {class=>'lime'}, "Επ*λεξε το κείμενο
που σε ενδιαφ*ρει => ",
popup_menu( -name=>'select',
-values=>\@display_files ),
submit('Εμφάνιση'));
print end_form;

my $passage = param('select') || "Αρχική Σελίδα!";
Encode::from_to($passage, "utf8", "ISO-8859-7") if param();

if ( param('select') )
{
open(FILE, "<../data/text/$passage.txt") or die $!;

Because windows are unable of saving greek filenames also in utf8
format(they save only the file contents iam afraid) i ahev to do this
tediouts tranformation encodign task very often and in several
instanced of my code. In the abbove example i transform grom greek =>
utf8 the fialen string so thay can appear correctly in the cleints
browser and also then when the cleint select something uppon submit i
have to *also* tranfrom back the encoded string from utf8 => greek
because as you can see immediately after the user selected file must be
opened. This become even more tedious when i try to also convert other
greek text to utf8 othweriwse it will not appear correctly.look this
for example:

print header( -charset=>'utf8' );
print start_html( -style=>'/data/css/style.css',
-title=>'Ψυχωφελή *νευματικά
Κείμενα!' );

my ($select, $row, $data);
my $date = strftime('%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S', localtime);

my $display_date = strftime('%a %d %b, %I:%M %p', localtime);
Encode::from_to($display_date, 'ISO-8859-7', 'utf8');

#date its like this because mysql needs it to be in thsi specific
outline in order to insert the date into its database date field. #as
for display_date this not only needs steaming but also need encoding to
utf8 form otherwise in my index.pl iam not able to see the date
correctly(only the number) all other date strigns to question marks.

Today i saw that another elementt of my script needs transormation to
uft8. This has become a very bery tedious and annoying work to do and i
ahve to repeat thsi to other scripts as well.

I would be very gratefull if you guys find a way that i will get rid of
theose tranformation and all page contect be default inputs and output
as utf8.

Thank you and sorry fot the repost but i didnt got an answe to this one.

Matt Garrish

"?????" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> my ($select, $row, $data);
> my $date = strftime('%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S', localtime);
>
> my $display_date = strftime('%a %d %b, %I:%M %p', localtime);
> Encode::from_to($display_date, 'ISO-8859-7', 'utf8');
>
> #date its like this because mysql needs it to be in thsi specific
> outline in order to insert the date into its database date field.

If you're just putting the current date and time into a database, use the
now() function in your sql statement.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...functions.html

Matt

Dr.Ruud

????? schreef:

> Because windows are unable of saving greek filenames also in utf8
> format

Which version of "windows" do you refer to?

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Nicky

Windows XP SP2

When i create a new file i select to be saved as UTF8 and it does saved
this way but only the content. The filename itself for some reason its
nos saved in UTF8 butrather in another encoding becauae if it did greek
filenames strings would have been displayed properly in the popup menu
and it would saved me a lot of trouble encoding them back and forth.

But unfortunately they dont

Dr.Ruud

Nicky schreef:

Please quote the right amount of context when replying.

> [Windows XP SP2]

>> Because windows are unable of saving greek filenames also
>> in utf8 format

Windows has no real problems in that area (NT and followups, not 9x).

> The filename itself for some
> reason its nos saved in UTF8 butrather in another encoding becauae if
> it did greek filenames strings would have been displayed properly in
> the popup menu

Are the names OK in Window Explorer?

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Nicky

Dr.Ruud wrote:
> Nicky schreef:
> > The filename itself for some
> > reason its nos saved in UTF8 butrather in another encoding becauae if
> > it did greek filenames strings would have been displayed properly in
> > the popup menu

> Are the names OK in Window Explorer?

Yeap. they appear in nperfectly normal Greek.
But if windows doesnt have problem saving then in UTF8 how do you
explain the fact that in side opoup menu they appear mutilated?