Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > web links

web links

Sherm Pendley

Jon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
> visited web site in an automatic manner

Have a look at WWW::Mechanize on CPAN. <http://cpan.org>

sherm--

Jon

Hi there,

Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
visited web site in an automatic manner
so that I can peruse them at my leisure and not worry about
lag/etc.. In the past I have used wget to do so but find that, at
times, there are limitations with the program. In particular resuming
wget doesn't remember where it last got up to and so it recycles
through what it has already pulled down. There are some other
annoyances as well. If someone knows of utilities better than wget
please let me know. However since I don't I'm trying to develop a perl
script that wraps around wget. My current issue is that wget only
fixes up web links when it has finished fully downloading the web
pages. Is there any perl library (or utility) that can be used to
go through and extract out all the links, see what has been downloaded
and modify the corresponding links to what they are. Thanks.

Jon.

robic0

See: 'Your ****in crazy, do it yourself', 2nd edition...

robic0

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:13:41 GMT, "Bill Segraves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
>> visited web site in an automatic manner
>> so that I can peruse them at my leisure and not worry about
>> lag/etc..

><snip>
>> Is there any perl library (or utility) that can be used to
>> go through and extract out all the links, see what has been downloaded
>> and modify the corresponding links to what they are. Thanks.

>See _Learning Perl_, 2nd edition, Chapter 19, "Web Automation with LWP" pp.
>207-208, for a program that prints out a sorted list of unique links ...
>contained in URLs passed as command-line arguments. If you don't have the
>book, you should be able to find the listing among the examples at the
>publisher's web site.

So let me get this straight. Your suggestion is to buy a book with code in
it, instead of asking all the alligators on this forum for a solution.

Use 'Fleete Enima' to clean you bowels out .........
(advice, free of charge.. and you don't need to buy a book)