Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Creating 1 file w/ the contents of 7 other files mixed randomly.

Creating 1 file w/ the contents of 7 other files mixed randomly.

Ben Morrow

Quoth Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> MD> PS: re your last claim, I seem to remember having read in Tanenbaum's
> MD> that in the first versions of UNIX there was only one call for opening
> MD> files and directories and one for closing. For technical reasons
> MD> dedicated calls for directories were introduced after an improvement
> MD> of the fs. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am may
> MD> clarify...
>
> you can always open a dir with just open and read the contents.

At least on Linux, you can open a directory with open(2) (which is what
opendir(3) uses), but cannot read it with read(2) (read fails with
EISDIR). To read the entries the call getdents(2) (from SVr4,
apparently) must be used. Closing is with close(2).

opendir(3), closedir(3) are equivalent to fopen(3), fclose(3), and must
be matched for the same reason (but you knew that already ).

Ben

--
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off
the shoulder of Orion; I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the

robic0

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:22:58 -0400, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MD> PS: re your last claim, I seem to remember having read in Tanenbaum's
> MD> that in the first versions of UNIX there was only one call for opening
> MD> files and directories and one for closing. For technical reasons
> MD> dedicated calls for directories were introduced after an improvement
> MD> of the fs. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am may
> MD> clarify...
> >>
> >> you can always open a dir with just open and read the contents. but
> >> there have been several changes over the decades

> r> This last line is a clear indication that the respondent is ****in
> r> psychotic! Over just over a simple 20 years ago the IBM pc was
> r> invented and produced with its big 8085 8-bit, altair machine.
>
>and what does this have to do with how unix directories are formated or
>read?
>
> r> Don't listen to a goddamned word this skunk Uri says, not one
> r> goddamed thing !!!!
>
>you are obeying your own orders very well.
>
>and if you are what you say and you are so pained as you expressed here,
>why do you still act like an asshole? you and all of us know you are
>faking this so why continue the charade? you can actually learn from
>others if you cared to do so. but you want to stay in your locked up
>world and think we are all your personal enemies. too bad for you. i
>tried to help and you immediately went back into you bottomless and
>unsupported rage and rant against all the others here. do i have to keep
>trying to shame you here? can't you fight the urge to flame and actually
>join a community instead of being the outsider? see if you have the
>courage to do that instead of being the coward hiding behind the flaming
>persona.
>
>uri

Forgot where I left off but think I was here before and wanted to reply
again. Maybe with some more insight.

I may look a little rough but I can assure you that I've been at this for
25 years and my edges are laced with bitter poison with the typical persona's
and attitude's I find here. You lose out on knowledge not me. I can't change
you. I hope I can though, you and the others here really don't know ****
here. I'm only here because I have free time. To alter your reasoning is not
why I'm here. 'Flaming' is a word not relegated to news groups. If your not
tough enough to take reply's hard-core style, then you should'nt dish out
personal insults. What goes around, comes around. You make your bed you
sleep in, if you want to **** there thats up to you.

Just remember, Perl isin't some unique special thing. There is nothing
new and the rules of the machine win. I'm not here to learn anything from
you. Nothing you know I don't, lots I know you don't. And hey keep up the
bullshit as long as you want. I'm gonna hit you on every front that you hit
me!

Matt Garrish

<robic0> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:22:58 -0400, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>and if you are what you say and you are so pained as you expressed here,
>>why do you still act like an asshole? you and all of us know you are
>>faking this so why continue the charade? you can actually learn from
>>others if you cared to do so. but you want to stay in your locked up
>>world and think we are all your personal enemies.

> I may look a little rough but I can assure you that I've been at this for
> 25 years and my edges are laced with bitter poison with the typical
> persona's
> and attitude's I find here. You lose out on knowledge not me. I can't
> change
> you. I hope I can though, you and the others here really don't know ****
> here. I'm only here because I have free time.

The pretense of being older than you are wore thin a long time ago. It's
fairly easy to judge a person's age by the language they use, and you use
the vocabulary of someone who is no older than 25. And as Uri said, you
aren't fooling anyone with your generalities about programming that are
usually wrong and look like they're the result of a quick Google search.
Since you think Usenet is about being king of the hill, know that your
postings put you firmly at the bottom, and the more you try the worse you
look (try a Google of your next of kin Purl Gurl for a picture of how people
view you).

At the very least stop hiding behind the anonymity of your email handle. No
one respects a coward.

Matt

DJ Stunks

Matt Garrish wrote:
> Google ... your next of kin Purl Gurl

Holy smokes that's funny.

robic, is that your sister dude? if so, does she have a boyfriend??
hahaha

too funny, thanks Matt

-jp

robic0

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:11:13 -0400, "Matt Garrish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><robic0> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:22:58 -0400, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>and if you are what you say and you are so pained as you expressed here,
>>>why do you still act like an asshole? you and all of us know you are
>>>faking this so why continue the charade? you can actually learn from
>>>others if you cared to do so. but you want to stay in your locked up
>>>world and think we are all your personal enemies.

>> I may look a little rough but I can assure you that I've been at this for
>> 25 years and my edges are laced with bitter poison with the typical
>> persona's
>> and attitude's I find here. You lose out on knowledge not me. I can't
>> change
>> you. I hope I can though, you and the others here really don't know ****
>> here. I'm only here because I have free time.

>The pretense of being older than you are wore thin a long time ago. It's
>fairly easy to judge a person's age by the language they use, and you use
>the vocabulary of someone who is no older than 25. And as Uri said, you
>aren't fooling anyone with your generalities about programming that are
>usually wrong and look like they're the result of a quick Google search.
>Since you think Usenet is about being king of the hill, know that your
>postings put you firmly at the bottom, and the more you try the worse you
>look (try a Google of your next of kin Purl Gurl for a picture of how people
>view you).

Its good to know how people view you. When your dead and dust I'm sure all the
people views will rise you from the dead. Scarecly a single relative will even
think about you for a second after your dead! I'm talking about you dude!
Thats how you can tell how old someone is.....

>At the very least stop hiding behind the anonymity of your email handle. No

What you wan't my name and address?
>one respects a coward.
>
>Matt

robic0

On 27 Apr 2006 15:55:28 -0700, "DJ Stunks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Matt Garrish wrote:
>> Google ... your next of kin Purl Gurl

>Holy smokes that's funny.
>
>robic, is that your sister dude? if so, does she have a boyfriend??
>hahaha
>
>too funny, thanks Matt
>
>-jp

Hey dude, haha, why don't you bend down and suck you 1 inch cock.
Let me know how it comes out. Hahahahaaaaaa

Matt Garrish

<robic0> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:11:13 -0400, "Matt Garrish"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>><robic0> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> I may look a little rough but I can assure you that I've been at this
>>> for
>>> 25 years and my edges are laced with bitter poison with the typical
>>> persona's
>>> and attitude's I find here. You lose out on knowledge not me. I can't
>>> change
>>> you. I hope I can though, you and the others here really don't know ****
>>> here. I'm only here because I have free time.

>>At the very least stop hiding behind the anonymity of your email handle.

> What you wan't my name and address?

If you're so proud of your skill as a programmer, why do you hide behind a
fake name? You don't see anyone else here doing it. Does the anonymity make
you feel more important? Or do you know what a little a-hole you are and are
afraid some potential employer's going to google your name to see what comes
up? I want to see you grow up and take responsibility for what you write.

Matt