Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > help! ( run perldoc as root )

Reply
Thread Tools

help! ( run perldoc as root )

 
 
nan li
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2006
Has any one had problem when running perldoc as root ?
I have some embedded POD at the end of the file 'x.pl'.
When I use my regular account, 'perldoc x.pl' is just fine.
But when I switch to 'root', the same line above gives me
'No documentation found for x.pl'.

I found in the man page the following warning:

Because perldoc does not run properly tainted, and is known
to have security issues, when run as the superuser it will
attempt to drop privileges by setting the effectiveand real IDs
to nobody's or nouser's account, or -2 if unavailable. If it
cannot relinquish its privileges, it will not run.

I don't know if that is relevant.

Thanks a lot,
Nan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anno Siegel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2006
nan li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Has any one had problem when running perldoc as root ?
> I have some embedded POD at the end of the file 'x.pl'.
> When I use my regular account, 'perldoc x.pl' is just fine.
> But when I switch to 'root', the same line above gives me
> 'No documentation found for x.pl'.
>
> I found in the man page the following warning:
>
> Because perldoc does not run properly tainted, and is known
> to have security issues, when run as the superuser it will
> attempt to drop privileges by setting the effectiveand real IDs
> to nobody's or nouser's account, or -2 if unavailable. If it
> cannot relinquish its privileges, it will not run.
>
> I don't know if that is relevant.


It probably is. What are the permissions of x.pl? Can "nouser"
read it?

Anno
--
If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
"show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
"Reply" at the bottom of the article headers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nan li
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2006
Thank you. That is the problem. I checked the file permission, but
forgot to check the permissions on the path.

Nan

Anno Siegel wrote:
> nan li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> > Has any one had problem when running perldoc as root ?
> > I have some embedded POD at the end of the file 'x.pl'.
> > When I use my regular account, 'perldoc x.pl' is just fine.
> > But when I switch to 'root', the same line above gives me
> > 'No documentation found for x.pl'.
> >
> > I found in the man page the following warning:
> >
> > Because perldoc does not run properly tainted, and is known
> > to have security issues, when run as the superuser it will
> > attempt to drop privileges by setting the effectiveand real IDs
> > to nobody's or nouser's account, or -2 if unavailable. If it
> > cannot relinquish its privileges, it will not run.
> >
> > I don't know if that is relevant.

>
> It probably is. What are the permissions of x.pl? Can "nouser"
> read it?
>
> Anno
> --
> If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
> the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
> "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
> "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tad McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2006
nan li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has any one had problem when running perldoc as root ?



Yes.

Why on earth would you need to run perldoc as root?


--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
nan li
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006

Tad McClellan wrote:
> nan li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Has any one had problem when running perldoc as root ?

>
>
> Yes.
>
> Why on earth would you need to run perldoc as root?


>
> --
> Tad McClellan SGML consulting
> (E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
> Fort Worth, Texas



I need to run a perl script as root in order to do some system check.
The script has some embedded documentation in POD and uses pod2usage to
print it out. And it seems pod2usage
uses perldoc underneath.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2006
nan li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: I need to run a perl script as root in order to do some system check.
: The script has some embedded documentation in POD and uses pod2usage to
: print it out. And it seems pod2usage
: uses perldoc underneath.

Looking at its documentation surely doesn't require root priviledges, does
it? su to some other user matching the file and path permissions, without
root execution priviledges, and you should be able to read the documentation.

Oliver.

--
Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non root users accessing application installed with root instance hector C Programming 5 12-05-2006 01:01 PM
Best way for -h option for script to run perldoc on itself? Ed Hennig Perl Misc 12 02-16-2006 10:27 PM
SRT DIvision, Square root and reciprocal square root alghazo@siu.edu VHDL 0 05-27-2004 06:23 AM
Tertiary Conditional: what does this evaluate to ("docRoot == null ? this.root : doc root")? Rick Osborn Java 10 02-08-2004 02:25 AM
root wants to use perldoc Dan Jacobson Perl Misc 2 08-26-2003 03:11 PM



Advertisments