Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What the hell does this mean?

What the hell does this mean?

jackd@morcor.com

Every time I try downloading the new version, I get his crud.

---
FirefoxSetup-0.9.2.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the
contents of that folder.

Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different
location.
---

I've NEVER seen this message before in my years of downloading.

(I did try "saving in a different location." No luck.)

Michael C.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:42:59 -0500,
> Every time I try downloading the new version, I get his crud.
>
> ---
> FirefoxSetup-0.9.2.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the
> contents of that folder.
>
> Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different
> location.
> ---
>
> I've NEVER seen this message before in my years of downloading.
>
> (I did try "saving in a different location." No luck.)

Weird. Verify that you can create a file in the directory you're
downloading to. Verify that you can write to the temp directory, empty
the temp directory, clear the cache.

If none of that works, I'd try a different download agent.

Failing all that, reply stating your version of Windows including
Service Pack, your download agent, and the name of the directory you
wish to save to, etc. You should also mention if this is a
FAT/FAT32/NTFS disk, or a share on another machine, and what permissions
you have on that folder.

While it's not recommended, using an administrator account will likely
get you past a permissions problem.

GL,

Michael C.
--
(E-Mail Removed) http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

Talking to yourself - first sign of madness.
Answering yourself back - first sign of schizophrenia.
I go one better: If I don't like the answer ...
I put it to a majority vote.

jackd@morcor.com

On 10 Jul 2004 20:05:05 GMT, "Michael C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:42:59 -0500,
>(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Every time I try downloading the new version, I get his crud.
>>
>> ---
>> FirefoxSetup-0.9.2.exe could not be saved, because you cannot change the
>> contents of that folder.
>>
>> Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different
>> location.
>> ---
>>
>> I've NEVER seen this message before in my years of downloading.
>>
>> (I did try "saving in a different location." No luck.)
>>

>Weird. Verify that you can create a file in the directory you're
>downloading to. Verify that you can write to the temp directory, empty
>the temp directory, clear the cache.

I save files to the directory every day.

I clean out my temp files, cache, etc., a number of times each day with
BCWipe.

>If none of that works, I'd try a different download agent.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll use my "normal" Netscape.

>Failing all that, reply stating your version of Windows including
>Service Pack, your download agent, and the name of the directory you
>wish to save to, etc. You should also mention if this is a
>FAT/FAT32/NTFS disk, or a share on another machine, and what permissions
>you have on that folder.
>
>While it's not recommended, using an administrator account will likely
>get you past a permissions problem.
>
>GL,
>
>Michael C.

This is just plain old Windows '98 SE. There's no way I screw around
with MS Service junk nor "updates" nor patches, since I do not ever use
IE nor any of their email programs.

I don't need the extra nonsense caused by their extra "add ons."
Using Netscape should cure this download problem.

(I kept this post until *after* using Netscape. It downloaded with no
problem. I'd say Firefox has a bit of an incompatibility problem
somewhere along the way. Although, I have downloaded pdf files and Web
sites with it with no problem. Well, who cares? I'll just use Netscape
for my update downloads.)

Thanks for answering.

what the hell happend jkl Firefox 23 04-03-2005 11:23 AM
Wireless hell at school =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?= Wireless Networking 5 03-16-2005 07:51 PM
DLL Hell in .NET Allan Wong ASP .Net 1 09-25-2003 08:11 PM
Circle Hell Talon Perl 2 09-04-2003 07:25 PM
PLEASE -- I'm in asp:button hell...tried everything I've read...why does it DO this? KathyB ASP .Net 0 07-23-2003 05:46 AM

Advertisments