Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > newbie question

newbie question

Ian Wilson

Ian Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> trolled:

> The posting guidelines for this newsgroup
> (http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html) say

> "Carefully choose the contents of your Subject header
> You have 40 precious characters of Subject to win out and be
> one of the posts that gets read. Don't waste them. Take care
> while composing them, they are the key that opens the door to
> getting an answer.

> Spend them indicating what aspect of Perl others will find
> if they should decide to read your article.

> Do not spend them indicating ``experience level'' (guru, newbie...).

> Do not spend them pleading (please read, urgent, help!...).

> Do not spend them on non-Subjects
> Perl question, one-word Subject...)

> For more information on choosing a Subject see
> ``Choosing Good Subject Lines'':

> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DM/DMR/subjects.post"

> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#bespecific gives
> similar good advice.

Holy ****, are you guys ever anal! I have never seen anything like
this before. "Choosing Good Subject Lines."

Hilarious!

cordially, as always,

rm

Josef Moellers

Ian Wilson wrote:
> Ian Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> trolled:
>

>>The posting guidelines for this newsgroup
>>(http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html) say

>> "Carefully choose the contents of your Subject header
>> You have 40 precious characters of Subject to win out and be
>> one of the posts that gets read. Don't waste them. Take care
>> while composing them, they are the key that opens the door to
>> getting an answer.

>> Spend them indicating what aspect of Perl others will find
>> if they should decide to read your article.

>> Do not spend them indicating ``experience level'' (guru, newbie...).

>> Do not spend them pleading (please read, urgent, help!...).

>> Do not spend them on non-Subjects
>> Perl question, one-word Subject...)

>> For more information on choosing a Subject see
>> ``Choosing Good Subject Lines'':

>> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/D/DM/DMR/subjects.post"

>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...tml#bespecific gives
>>similar good advice.

> Holy ****, are you guys ever anal! I have never seen anything like
> this before. "Choosing Good Subject Lines."

No need to use four letter words (d'ya know: "UNIX" is a four letter
word? B-{).

You might want to read RFC1178

Josef, who prefers RFCs 1149 and 2549
--
Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
-- T. Pratchett

Tad McClellan

UkJay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From: "UkJay" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Please choose one posting address and stick with it.

> "A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "UkJay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:du68g8$rdb$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> "Keith Keller" <(E-Mail Removed)-francisco.ca.us> wrote in
>>> message news(E-Mail Removed)-francisco.ca.us...
>>>>

>>> He did Keith,

>> No he did not.
>>

> Yes he did
> It was a NEWBIE QUESTION

His post was not _about_ newbie questions.

> and his question was in the message!

Nobody said, or even expected, that the question be in the Subject.

Only that the Subject give some indication of what the post
was _about_.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Tad McClellan

UkJay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Anno Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
> news:du6dq8$ero$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE...
>> UkJay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>>>
>>> "A. Sinan Unur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Yes he did
>>> It was a NEWBIE QUESTION

>> Wrong. The message is about a substitution operation, not a newbie
>> question.

> Sorry Anno I don't fully agree with that...

Then you are in the vast minority.

Having 50 threads about "newbie question" that are about 50 different
aspects of Perl help neither someone searching for a problem similar
to theirs, nor to folks looking for questions that they can answer.

The Subject header is like a book's index. Nobody will be able
to find what they are looking for if every indexed entry is
the same.

> The poster thought it prudent to advise n.g. readers that his question was
> of a simple nature.

That's fine, but he should still include what the simple question
is _about_.

People that know about that subject are much more likely to read
the question when they know that it is about something that they
might be able to answer.

> I get so angry with pedantic replies about posts here!

That's fine, but what does it have to do with replies that
are teaching something widely valuable rather than something
of narrow focus?

Putting the subject of your article in the Subject of your
article is not being pedantic, it is helping the OP to draw
in readers familar with that subject, and allows peers with
a similar problem to find previous discussions of that problem.

> So this is my final
> reply on this subject,

On the subject of "newbie question"?

> you carry on if you like, but I have had my say,

People will be hurt if they do as you said.

Please try saying things that will be helpful rather than hurtful.

> Ok I'll settle for newbie question - Substitution Operation

Then the OP could have been helped even more.

Subject: Substitution Operation - simple question

would get more folks to read the article than your proposed Subject,
increasing the OP's chances of getting an answer.

Consider these article scoring rules:

% red flag subjects
Score:: -5000
Subject: newbie

% interesting subjects
Score:: 9000
Subject: beginner

I expect that 1st one to be a rather common scorerule.

Why do you suppose that "newbie" is scored down while "beginner"
is scored up?

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Glenn Jackman

At 2006-03-01 04:02PM, A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> my $s = "\t \t \n test \n\n\n";
> ($s) = $s =~ m{ \A \s* (.+) \s* \z}x;
> print "-$s-\n";
> -test -

Although all trailing spaces would be trimmed if the capturing
expression was not greedy:
($s) = $s =~ m{ \A \s* (.+?) \s* \z}x;

--
Glenn Jackman
Ulterior Designer

Dr.Ruud

Glenn Jackman schreef:

> ($s) = $s =~ m{ \A \s* (.+?) \s* \z}x;

If there were only spaces in the line, one would survive.
If there were no spaces at both ends, a lot of work would be done to
achieve exactly nothing.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Tad McClellan

Ian Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Are you "Ian Wilson" masquerading as "Roger Maynard",
or are you "Roger Maynard" masquerading as "Ian Wilson"?

Why are you masquerading at all?

--

Tad McClellan wrote:
> Ian Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > <snip: typical RM posting>

> Are you "Ian Wilson" masquerading as "Roger Maynard",

I'd probably muddle up his style with XL and r0's.