Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > use library

use library

Bart the bear

I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
"use library".
I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
tell me what
that pragma does or where to find the description?
TIA

A. Sinan Unur

"Bart the bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
> "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
> Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
> description?

There are two possibilities:

(1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm

(2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:

use lib '/some/path';

If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
then read

perldoc lib

Sinan

J. Gleixner

Bart the bear wrote:
> I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
> "use library".
> I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
> tell me what
> that pragma does or where to find the description?

ahhhh.. is there a library.pm in @INC?

Bart the bear

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> "Bart the bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
> > "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
> > Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
> > description?

> There are two possibilities:
>
> (1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm
>
> (2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:
>
> use lib '/some/path';
>
> If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
> then read
>
> perldoc lib
>
> Sinan

My post was inaccurate. It was the use lib 'var'. You solved my
problem.
Thanks!

Tad McClellan

Bart the bear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
> "use library".
> I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else. Can somebody
> tell me what
> that pragma does or where to find the description?

perldoc library

should work if whoever wrote library.pm actully made some
documentation for their module.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Tad McClellan

Bart the bear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> "Bart the bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>>
>> > I have to untangle somebody else's code and I ran accross the pragma
>> > "use library". I cannot find in the "Programming Perl" or anywhere else.
>> > Can somebody tell me what that pragma does or where to find the
>> > description?

>> There are two possibilities:
>>
>> (1) Someone was being cute, and they named their module library.pm
>>
>> (2) Or, your post is inaccurate, and the statement is actually:
>>
>> use lib '/some/path';
>>
>> If it is (1), find the module library.pm that is being used. If it is (2),
>> then read
>>
>> perldoc lib
>>
>> Sinan

> My post was inaccurate.

So you wasted the time of hundreds of people.

You can use up all of your coupons very quickly if you don't take
a bit of care when composing posts.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Bart the bear

Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
opressed
masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
precision. You are
hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

A. Sinan Unur

"Bart the bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

[ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you post a reply ]

> Tad, please do not misunderestimate me. I humbly apologize to all the
> opressed
> masses of the world that I helped further opress with my lack of
> precision. You are
> hereby granted the right to draw a cartoon of my person. I promise not
> to torch down anything if you decide to do so.

Snide remarks like this are not appreciated here. Tad has done you a
service by showing you how to ensure continued assistance here.

In addition, I have noticed that GG now quotes the message you are
replying to by default, so it is incumbent upon you to quote properly by
trimming the message down to the most relevant bits.

*Sigh*

Sinan

PS: On a somewhat related note, I noticed that GG users now get to rate
newsgroup posts. Arrrghh!

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

DJ Stunks

> <this context intentionally left blank>

*my* broken google reply button is still broken...

-jp

1usa@llenroc.ude.invalid

DJ Stunks wrote:
> > <this context intentionally left blank>

> *my* broken google reply button is still broken...
>
> -jp

A-ha! I did not realize that they had moved the stupid Reply link to
the bottom of the page with the rating stuff. I thought now one could
only reply via "more options".

Sorry about the false jubilation ... The stupid rating system is really
stupid though

Sinan