Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > system() calls in windows not working for some users

system() calls in windows not working for some users

dtfcalibrator@gmail.com

I use the following in a program:

system("pause");

and

system("copy $file1 $file2 >nul");

For myself and most users, these lines have no problem.
The first one presents the user with:
"Press any key to continue . . ."
the second is silent and works great.

However, I've figured out one user (running WinXP) is failing on all
system commands.
He never sees "Press any key to continue . . ." and the program dies on
an error when it can't find $file2. Anyone hear of anything like this?
It's strange it's only failing on one computer.

BTW - he's tried manually copying in a DOS window. That works fine.

Thanks.

dtfcalibrator@gmail.com

Yeah, that's my fail-safe option ... remove all system calls. It'd
just be easier to not have to re-release. Thanks.

xhoster@gmail.com

> I use the following in a program:
>
> system("pause");
>
> and
>
> system("copy $file1 $file2 >nul");
>
> For myself and most users, these lines have no problem.
> The first one presents the user with:
> "Press any key to continue . . ."
> the second is silent and works great.
>
> However, I've figured out one user (running WinXP) is failing on all
> system commands.

Have you considered having Perl tell you why it fails?

system("pause") and die "$! $? $^E";

> He never sees "Press any key to continue . . ." and the program dies on
> an error when it can't find $file2.

That seems unlikely. While it may generate a message to STDERR about not
being able to find $file2, the code you show should not die on that event.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB