Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > problem installing MqSQL - Perl::DBI

problem installing MqSQL - Perl::DBI

pc

hi everyone,

I am trying to install MySQL5. When I do that I get the following error
message:

[root@myserver local]# rpm -i
MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm
warning: MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
error: Failed dependencies:
perl(DBI) is needed by MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3

I downloaded the perl:BI module from CPAN and it seemed to install OK
(did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)

I have rebooted but still no joy.

How do I test that perl:BI is installed?

TIA

eddiec

Eric Schwartz

"pc" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I am trying to install MySQL5. When I do that I get the following error
> message:
>
> [root@myserver local]# rpm -i
> MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm
> warning: MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
> signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
> error: Failed dependencies:
> perl(DBI) is needed by MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3

This tells you that rpm thinks a package named perl(DBI) is needed to
install MySQL-server-standard. So install the rpm for it, and you're
done.

> I downloaded the perl:BI module from CPAN and it seemed to install OK
> (did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)

That's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that an rpm for perl(DBI)
is needed. When you're dealing with rpm, it only knows about packages
that it has installed. In fact, many packages include more (sometimes
less) than what is included from an upstream distributor (such as
CPAN). The only way that rpm can know that exactly what is wants is
installed is if you install it via rpm.

IOW, you don't have a perl problem, you have a redhat (or whatever
your distro happens to be) problem. Consult them if you still are
confused about what to do.

> I have rebooted but still no joy.
>
> How do I test that perl:BI is installed?

You don't care if perl:BI is installed, you care if the rpm package
perl(DBI) is installed. In fact, you probably want to uninstall the
version you just installed, because it could conflict with the
standard version in the RPM.

-=Eric

pc

thanks,