Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Server-side programming language -- which is best?

Server-side programming language -- which is best?

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
Perl, C, C++? Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
one of the aforementioned languages?
Thanks.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

> I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
> wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
> Perl, C, C++?

Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend to
do. Perl is probably easier.

> Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
> one of the aforementioned languages?

Maybe one of these tutorials might get you started:
http://www.cgi.resourceindex.com/Doc...CGI_Tutorials/

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
do. Perl is probably easier."

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is allow
people to sign up to a site, with confirmation e-mail; allow them to
submit information which will then be saved into HTML pages which would
be stored in organised folders; and do some message boards.

Thanks.

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
do. Perl is probably easier."

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
message board.

Thanks.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach (E-Mail Removed):

> "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
> do. Perl is probably easier."

Your attempt to quote some material sure is appreciated in this group.
However, you can have google do the quoting for you. Please see here:

<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213&topic=250>

Then all you have to do is trim the quoted stuff (if necessary) and
insert your comments into the appropriate places which is: Right below
the respective paragraph you're responding to.

> Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
> following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
> confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
> information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
> pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
> message board.

Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
evidently have to use it.

As for C and C++ you mentioned in a parallel thread: I would strongly
advice against those. These programs require compilation and in general
such applications need to be compiled on the machine on which they are
supposed to run. If you are moving your site to another server, all your
programs might require re-compilation. When not having shell-access,
this compilation step can become quite cumbersome or even impossible.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
> to do. Perl is probably easier."
>
> Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
> following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
> confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
> information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
> pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
> message board.

Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

And also a search function.

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

Thanks for the information.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
> Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
> other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
> your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
> evidently have to use it.

To me, that doesn't sound as an appropriate base for choosing
programming language. Changing web host is relatively easy, and nowadays
there are many virtual server alternatives available that allow you to
install whatever software you wish. I'm quite happy with this host, for
instance: http://www.openhosting.com/

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

stephenburgess1972@hotmail.com

> Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
> true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
> or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

What would be best if it were a big site?

Sorry for interrupt,because my mother language is not English,it maybe a little confused to read the c programming language. Zhang Yuan C Programming 6 06-14-2012 04:35 AM
Can Your Programming Language Do This? Joel on functional programming and briefly on anonymous functions! Casey Hawthorne Python 4 08-04-2006 05:23 AM
A language-agnostic language Ed Java 24 03-27-2006 08:19 PM
Which server-side programming language? Leif K-Brooks HTML 27 12-10-2003 06:36 PM

Advertisments