Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Problem with Perl DBI - IO::Socket::INET:

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem with Perl DBI - IO::Socket::INET:

 
 
Lucas Young
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
Hi all

I'm trying to setup a connection to a Hypersonic SQL database on Ubuntu Linux.
I've installed HSQLDB-BER from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb-ber/ and the server seems to
start OK, but I get this error running the sample.pl script:

DBI connect('hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldbl ay','sa',...)
failed: Failed to open socket to server: IO::Socket::INET: connect:
Connection refused at sample.pl line 27
Failed to connect: (104) Failed to open socket to server:
IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused

The line of code is:

$dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";

What can cause the IO::Socket::INET: error, and can you suggest ways
to debug it?
many thanks in advance

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Bokma
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
Lucas Young <lucas _a_t_ digitalus _dot_ co _dot_ nz> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to setup a connection to a Hypersonic SQL database on
> Ubuntu Linux. I've installed HSQLDB-BER from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb-ber/ and the server seems to
> start OK, but I get this error running the sample.pl script:
>
> DBI connect('hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldbl ay','sa',...)
> failed: Failed to open socket to server: IO::Socket::INET: connect:
> Connection refused at sample.pl line 27
> Failed to connect: (104) Failed to open socket to server:
> IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused
>
> The line of code is:
>
> $dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";


I doubt if that's line 27, unless $dsn has some magic.

--
John Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
Perl programmer available: http://castleamber.com/
I ploink googlegroups.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Clements
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
John Bokma wrote:
> Lucas Young <lucas _a_t_ digitalus _dot_ co _dot_ nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to setup a connection to a Hypersonic SQL database on
>> Ubuntu Linux. I've installed HSQLDB-BER from
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb-ber/ and the server seems to
>> start OK, but I get this error running the sample.pl script:
>>
>> DBI connect('hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldbl ay','sa',...)
>> failed: Failed to open socket to server: IO::Socket::INET: connect:
>> Connection refused at sample.pl line 27
>> Failed to connect: (104) Failed to open socket to server:
>> IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused
>>
>> The line of code is:
>>
>> $dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";

>
> I doubt if that's line 27, unless $dsn has some magic.
>


Vim tells me it's line 24

$dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";
my %null;

$dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, "sa", "", \%null)
or ( die("Failed to connect: ($DBI::err) $DBI::errstr\n"));

Lucas: you need to verify that the server is running, and that it is
listening on the port on which you think it is running. If it produces
error logs, what is in them? Have you verified that there is a process
listening on the port to which the sample script is trying to connect
ie does

telnet localhost 9111

connect or do you get connection refused? lsof is also good for
diagnosing (among other things) what process is listening on which port.
What does

lsof -i :9111

return?


What is in the error logs for the server?

Mark


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lucas Young
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2005
On 2005-12-12 00:09:42 +1300, Mark Clements
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> John Bokma wrote:
>> Lucas Young <lucas _a_t_ digitalus _dot_ co _dot_ nz> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm trying to setup a connection to a Hypersonic SQL database on
>>> Ubuntu Linux. I've installed HSQLDB-BER from
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb-ber/ and the server seems to
>>> start OK, but I get this error running the sample.pl script:
>>>
>>> DBI connect('hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldbl ay','sa',...)
>>> failed: Failed to open socket to server: IO::Socket::INET: connect:
>>> Connection refused at sample.pl line 27
>>> Failed to connect: (104) Failed to open socket to server:
>>> IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused
>>>
>>> The line of code is:
>>>
>>> $dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";

>>
>> I doubt if that's line 27, unless $dsn has some magic.
>>

>
> Vim tells me it's line 24
>
> $dsn = "dbi:JDBC:hostname=localhost:9111;url=ber:hsqldb lay";
> my %null;
>
> $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, "sa", "", \%null)
> or ( die("Failed to connect: ($DBI::err) $DBI::errstr\n"));
>
> Lucas: you need to verify that the server is running, and that it is
> listening on the port on which you think it is running. If it produces
> error logs, what is in them? Have you verified that there is a process
> listening on the port to which the sample script is trying to connect
> ie does
>
> telnet localhost 9111
>
> connect or do you get connection refused? lsof is also good for
> diagnosing (among other things) what process is listening on which
> port. What does
>
> lsof -i :9111
>
> return?
>
>
> What is in the error logs for the server?
>
> Mark


Hi Guys
Silly me, I didnt have a server running Now the sample is working fine.
What I'd like to be aable to do is connect to the Hypersonic SQL
database that comes with Readerware (Readerware lets you scan
book/dvd/cd barcodes, it looks them up on Amazon etc and stores them in
a database). The developer has provided the database info:

Readerware uses Hypersonic SQL.
The JDBC driver is distributed with Readerware in lib\hsql.jar
Login Name: sa
Password:
(Leave the password field blank)

URL: jdbc:HypersonicSQL:C:\Readerware\RWareDB.rwd
Driver: org.hsql.jdbcDriver
Driver Location: C:\Readerware\lib\hsql.jar

How could I configure the sample to connect to this database? I'd be a
very happy camper after that
Thanks for all the help

Lucas

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DBI Mysql storing DBI:binary, trouble with character 26 Jerome Hauss Ruby 0 10-13-2004 03:04 PM
DBI and DBI::Oracle packages configuration ulloa Perl 1 07-22-2004 05:52 PM
perl Fock & DBI problem Michael Perl 0 04-26-2004 02:21 PM
DBI problem : How can I load quickly one huge table with DBI ??. Tim Haynes Perl Misc 3 09-13-2003 03:43 AM
Mason, DBI, and DBI::Pg Asby Perl Misc 0 07-24-2003 09:04 PM



Advertisments