Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Bring window to top in Tk

Bring window to top in Tk

Larry

I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
done?

Ala Qumsieh

Larry wrote:
> I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> done?

http://search.cpan.org/~gbrock/Tk-StayOnTop-0.11/

--Ala

robic0

On 7 Dec 2005 17:24:02 -0800, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
>able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
>my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
>done?

Now why would you want to do that?
If I had to use this program and I were running another window
that had the focus and in the middle of typing or clicking a stupid
windows took the focus from me, I would never run this stupid thing
again. Especially bogus Perl window crap! Problem is some people
think their running program is more important than what the user
might be doing somewhere else. Don't ask this question with the
assertion that this is somehow OK for everybody to do. There's
gui guidelines on Microsofts website, for the people such as you
who are neophyte's to user friendlyness, and in my opinion, just
plain intrusive on multi-tasking os's.

Look for a beep or taskbar flash method somewhere.

Larry

robic0 wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2005 17:24:02 -0800, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> >able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> >my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> >done?

> There's
> gui guidelines on Microsofts website, for the people such as you
> who are neophyte's to user friendlyness, and in my opinion, just
> plain intrusive on multi-tasking os's.
>
> Look for a beep or taskbar flash method somewhere.

OK, I would be fine with taskbar flash... just something to get the
user's attention so they don't have to keep checking the application.
Anybody have an idea on that?

Larry

Ala Qumsieh wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> > able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> > my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> > done?

> http://search.cpan.org/~gbrock/Tk-StayOnTop-0.11/
>
> --Ala

Thanks, I will look at that, but it doesn't seem to be exactly what I
want. I don't want my window to *stay* on top ... I want it to jump to
the top only when it's done.

Larry

Larry wrote:
> I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> done?

In browsing CPAN, I found Tk::WM which seemed promising at first, but
doesn't seem to have a method for bringing a window to the top of all
applications. Am I missing something there?

Larry

robic0 wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2005 17:24:02 -0800, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> >able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> >my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> >done?

> Now why would you want to do that?
> If I had to use this program and I were running another window
> that had the focus and in the middle of typing or clicking a stupid
> windows took the focus from me, I would never run this stupid thing
> again. Especially bogus Perl window crap! Problem is some people
> think their running program is more important than what the user
> might be doing somewhere else. Don't ask this question with the
> assertion that this is somehow OK for everybody to do. There's
> gui guidelines on Microsofts website, for the people such as you
> who are neophyte's to user friendlyness, and in my opinion, just
> plain intrusive on multi-tasking os's.
>
> Look for a beep or taskbar flash method somewhere.

I agree with your premise that programs should behave and play nicely
with others but the overall consideration is what is best for the user.
If the program has no way to tell the user it's done, the user has to
keep checking it periodically... not a very efficient use of the user's
time. A taskbar flash or a way to pop up a little window in the lower
right corner would be ideal, but I don't know if Tk can do those things
(at least not without a lot of work). A beep is not ideal, especially
if people are sitting near to others.

Larry

Larry wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
> > able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to make
> > my program put its window on top of all other applications when it's
> > done?

Actually, on thinking about it further, what I really want to do is
allow the user to minimize the window while it's working, then when
it's done "restore" the window. How can I do that?

A. Sinan Unur

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Larry wrote:
>> Larry wrote:

I am not sure you really want to keep talking to yourself online.

>> > I have a Perl/Tk program which does a long process and I want to be
>> > able to do other things while it's working. Is there any way to
>> > make my program put its window on top of all other applications
>> > when it's done?

> Actually, on thinking about it further, what I really want to do is
> allow the user to minimize the window while it's working, then when
> it's done "restore" the window. How can I do that?

Why isn't it acceptable for the user to come back and check when he/she
feels like checking? Why do you feel like *you* have the right to
interrupt something else the user might have been doing while your
program did its thing?

Anyway, see <URL:http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.027/pod/Wm.pod>

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

Larry

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> Why isn't it acceptable for the user to come back and check when he/she
> feels like checking? Why do you feel like *you* have the right to
> interrupt something else the user might have been doing while your
> program did its thing?

I guess you would have to ask the user. It depends on the application.
I can definitely think of applications where I would want it to
immediately notify me and not wait till I got around to checking.

Bring window to top Al ASP .Net 4 08-29-2007 04:14 PM
Programmatically bring a window to front zren@amylin.com Python 0 06-17-2005 05:19 PM
Tk() doesn't bring up a window in Python2.4 timothy.williams@nvl.army.mil Python 0 06-13-2005 02:49 PM
make a browser window stay on top window handle? =?Utf-8?B?RHVzdGluIElJLg==?= ASP .Net 1 08-18-2004 06:26 AM
window.opener.top.location.top.close ??? find clausen Javascript 2 10-05-2003 04:35 PM

Advertisments