Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Session_End doesn't fire after uploading new code to live server

Session_End doesn't fire after uploading new code to live server

Ben Fidge

I use the session_end in global.asax to perform clean-up of a temporary
shopping cart table. Shoppping Cart items are stored with a session id in
the table, and when a session ends a small rountine checks the shopping cart
table and deletes any stray items.

This has worked a treat for weeks but stopped working today when I uploaded
news dlls and aspx pages to the live server using FTP.

Nothing has changed code-wise and all relevant settings are applied in
web.config.

Is this a known problem? The site in question is very busy and I'd like to
avoid stop-starting IIS id possible.

Kind regards

Ben

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ben,

> This has worked a treat for weeks but stopped working today when I

uploaded
> news dlls and aspx pages to the live server using FTP.

Offhand, I'd say it has something to do with the new dlls and aspx pages you
uploaded, in that case.

> Nothing has changed code-wise and all relevant settings are applied in
> web.config.

Then what was in the new dlls and aspx pages you uploaded?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Ben Fidge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use the session_end in global.asax to perform clean-up of a temporary
> shopping cart table. Shoppping Cart items are stored with a session id in
> the table, and when a session ends a small rountine checks the shopping

cart
> table and deletes any stray items.
>
> This has worked a treat for weeks but stopped working today when I

uploaded
> news dlls and aspx pages to the live server using FTP.
>
> Nothing has changed code-wise and all relevant settings are applied in
> web.config.
>
> Is this a known problem? The site in question is very busy and I'd like to
> avoid stop-starting IIS id possible.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Ben

Ben Fidge

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I wasn't very clear! There was minor changes to some of the pages html
and some small coding changes to the pages. The code in the global.asax
hasn't been changed for quite a while though.

Ben

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ben,
>
>> This has worked a treat for weeks but stopped working today when I

> uploaded
>> news dlls and aspx pages to the live server using FTP.

> Offhand, I'd say it has something to do with the new dlls and aspx pages
> you
> uploaded, in that case.
>
>> Nothing has changed code-wise and all relevant settings are applied in
>> web.config.

> Then what was in the new dlls and aspx pages you uploaded?
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> I get paid good money to
> solve puzzles for a living
>
> "Ben Fidge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use the session_end in global.asax to perform clean-up of a temporary
>> shopping cart table. Shoppping Cart items are stored with a session id in
>> the table, and when a session ends a small rountine checks the shopping

> cart
>> table and deletes any stray items.
>>
>> This has worked a treat for weeks but stopped working today when I

> uploaded
>> news dlls and aspx pages to the live server using FTP.
>>
>> Nothing has changed code-wise and all relevant settings are applied in
>> web.config.
>>
>> Is this a known problem? The site in question is very busy and I'd like
>> avoid stop-starting IIS id possible.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Ben

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ben,

Just because you didn't make any changes to the global.asax doesn't mean
that you didn't make any changes that affect your Sessions, which are
available to all of your code.

Here's the thing: Your app worked "a treat" until you performed a specific
action, which was uploading new code to the app. Therefore, the logical
first place to look for a problem would be in the new code you uploaded. In
other words, that is the most likely suspect, and would be therefore, the
first place to look. Always eliminate the most likely first. If that doesn't
work, look elsewhere.