Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > submit the form concept

Reply
Thread Tools

submit the form concept

 
 
strutsng@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

On page1.php,
<form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">

means 2 steps here:
1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
HTTP POST method.
2) open otherpage.php

Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
to itself, or this is called POST BACK.

Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Thanks!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
> PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.


Since I'm replying from clpmisc, and before somebody else says it: Perl
is used for more than web programming. Many seasoned Perl programmers
are not doing web programming at all.

> On page1.php,
> <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
>
> means 2 steps here:
> 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
> HTTP POST method.


Almost agreed. Rather than submitting the form you submit a set of data
by help of the form.

> 2) open otherpage.php


I'd say: "ask otherpage.php to do something with the submitted data".

> Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself,


Yes.

> that means post the page to itself,


No. You don't post "the page", you post some data. Neither do you post
the data to "the page", you post them to the server, asking the server
to let _the script_ handle the data.

> or this is called POST BACK.


Have never heard that expression.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
usenet@DavidFilmer.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
> PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.


Maybe so, but this is a forum that is dedicated to talking about Perl
programming issues. We don't discuss generalities. In addition, this
forum encourages the use of guidelines which have been agreed upon by
the active community; violating these guidelines (as your post did in
many respects) will not help you get helpful answers. You may review
the guidelines at:
http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml

The Perl module that is most commonly used for HTML and form processing
is called CGI and may be found on CPAN. If you read the documentation
for that module and have questions which are specific to the use of the
module (and not to the HTML which it generates) you are welcome to ask
questions here. You might even get answers if you follow the posting
guidelines.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> We don't discuss generalities.


I'd say we do. Very often.

> In addition, this
> forum encourages the use of guidelines which have been agreed upon by
> the active community; violating these guidelines (as your post did in
> many respects)


In a narrow sense you are right, I suppose. Still, I like the original
post. If more newbies made efforts to actually understand the CGI
concept before they start coding CGI apps, we'd be spared a lot of
unnecessary questions here.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
usenet@DavidFilmer.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > We don't discuss generalities.

> I'd say we do. Very often.


Well, you've got me there.

> Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
> understand the CGI concept...


You seem to be in a very generous mood today. The post was a
scattershot question (to four very different newsgroups) which
illustrated the question with html/php. The OP showed no indication
that s/he knows anything about Perl at all, nor does the OP indicate
that s/he has made the slightest effort to discover that such a thing
as the CGI module exists.

I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
Perl CGI programming.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jürgen Exner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web
> server. PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.


Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that you are _not_ talking about Perl.

[...]
> Is that correct? Please advise & comment.


Don't know. Do you have a question about Perl, too?

jue


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
>>understand the CGI concept...

>
> You seem to be in a very generous mood today.


Maybe. I just woke up, and it's a wonderful morning where I live
(Goteborg, Sweden).

<snip>

> I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
> Perl CGI programming.


What I mean is that _before_ you attempt to understand Perl CGI
programming (or PHP programming etc.) you'd better try to get a basic
understanding of the HTTP protocol, and I saw the question as a step in
the right direction as regards the latter.

Off-topic in clpmisc? Probably. Still this group would receive
significantly fewer off-topic and/or unnecessary posts from Perl CGI
programming newbies if more of them chose to do what the OP is currently
doing.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
Erwin Moller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
> PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.
>
> On page1.php,
> <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
>
> means 2 steps here:
> 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
> HTTP POST method.
> 2) open otherpage.php
>
> Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
> to itself, or this is called POST BACK.
>
> Is that correct? Please advise & comment.
>
> Thanks!!


Hi struts,

Please do not post to a zillion newsgroups.
That is annoying.
And now I am annoying everybody in groups I never visit too by replying to
them all.

It is a common mistake to expect faster answers by posting to all groups
that possibly might have something to do with your problem.
Many people get irritated when you do that, as you maybe noticed.

If you post to 1 active group, you will get your answer.
Posting to many groups will lead to broken threads, and thus discussions
become impossible to follow.
Especially simple questions like this one will be answered in no time in any
respectable group..

Regards,
Erwin Moller

 
Reply With Quote
 
Erwin Moller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>>Still, I like the original post. If more newbies made efforts to actually
>>>understand the CGI concept...

>>
>> You seem to be in a very generous mood today.

>
> Maybe. I just woke up, and it's a wonderful morning where I live
> (Goteborg, Sweden).


It is rainy day here in Rotterdam, Netherlands.


>
> <snip>
>
>> I did not regard the question as a sincere overture to understanding
>> Perl CGI programming.

>
> What I mean is that _before_ you attempt to understand Perl CGI
> programming (or PHP programming etc.) you'd better try to get a basic
> understanding of the HTTP protocol, and I saw the question as a step in
> the right direction as regards the latter.
>
> Off-topic in clpmisc? Probably. Still this group would receive
> significantly fewer off-topic and/or unnecessary posts from Perl CGI
> programming newbies if more of them chose to do what the OP is currently
> doing.
>


Allow me to drop in here.
(I just followed a random group the OP posted to, from comp.lang.php. )

Of course the OP is doing the right thing trying to understand how CGI
works, or HTTP-protocol, forms, etc. (which is probably all the same to him
at the moment)
Problem is that posting to many ng is just considered rude.
Don't you hate it to see many 'RE: blabla' in your ng without any threads to
follow? (Yes you can follow them if you start a dective-agency)
I do.

It has been years since I did any Perl.
(Since I only did web/databasestuff, I switched to PHP.)

Good to see you are all still alive and kicking!

Regards,
Erwin Moller

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tad McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2005

[ Followups set ]


(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> it applies to any web programming
> languages.



Then posting to a programming language newsgroup is inappropriate.

Also, how is a "web programming language" different from
a "programming language"?


> Please advise & comment.



Don't make off-topic postings.


--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
submit the form concept strutsng@gmail.com ASP General 4 11-18-2005 01:28 PM
submit the form concept strutsng@gmail.com ASP .Net 5 11-18-2005 01:28 PM
submit form data concept Matt ASP General 3 08-20-2004 12:23 PM
submit form data concept Matt ASP .Net 1 08-20-2004 05:57 AM
submit form data concept Matt HTML 2 08-20-2004 05:55 AM



Advertisments