Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > [OT] Google Groups: vote for Default quoting

[OT] Google Groups: vote for Default quoting

John Bokma

Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
<http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>

"Default quoting of previous message in replies"

one above the last option.

(which goes to <http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py?
contact_type=features> which wraps around in my client)

I ploink googlegroups.com

usenet@DavidFilmer.com

John Bokma wrote:
> Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
> <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>

I'm replying to your post in Google Groups. I didn't need to do
anything to use the quoting style above (except snip for brevity) -
this quoting style is ALREADY the default behavior when replying via
ShowOptions / Reply (which is the preferred way to reply). Is this poll
asking about what happens if you use the "reply" link at the _bottom_
of the post?

A. Sinan Unur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1132184487.162378.318170
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> John Bokma wrote:
>> Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
>> <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>

> I'm replying to your post in Google Groups. I didn't need to do
> anything to use the quoting style above (except snip for brevity) -
> this quoting style is ALREADY the default behavior when replying via
> ShowOptions / Reply (which is the preferred way to reply). Is this poll
> asking about what happens if you use the "reply" link at the _bottom_
> of the post?

I am assuming they are talking about the latter. After all, most people
posting from GG do not do what you so nicely do.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Bokma

Abigail <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Bokma ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote on MMMMCDLX September MCMXCIII
> in <URL:news:Xns9710B28583EA0castleamber@130.133.1.4> :
> .. Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default
> quoting: .. <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>
> ..
> .. "Default quoting of previous message in replies"
> ..
> .. one above the last option.
>

> Why would I? I don't use google groups, and I don't read postings made
> via google groups.

Some people have no other option than to use Google Groups. I used to
ploink everybody, but I use now just a negative score, and up people who
do quote correctly (like David Filmer ).

> Google is evil.

And ignoring people who use it is not going to change that.

> I'm not going to collect their cookies, let alone
> bother to vote.

Yup being overly paranoid is healty

I ploink googlegroups.com

usenet@DavidFilmer.com

Abigail wrote:
> Google is evil. I'm not going to collect their cookies...

Wow. Evil, huh? Just out of curiosity, may I ask what non-evil (and
cookie-less) search engine you usually use?

Matt Garrish

"Abigail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> John Bokma ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote on MMMMCDLX September MCMXCIII in
> <URL:news:Xns9710B28583EA0castleamber@130.133.1.4> :
> .. Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
> .. <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>
> ..
> .. "Default quoting of previous message in replies"
> ..
> .. one above the last option.
>

> Why would I? I don't use google groups, and I don't read postings made
> via google groups.
>
> Google is evil. I'm not going to collect their cookies, let alone
> bother to vote.

Amateur. I toss their cookies! : )

Matt

Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, John Bokma wrote:

> Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
> <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>
>
> "Default quoting of previous message in replies"

Well, I'm sorry, but they've let this go on for too long to be able to
take them seriously. Asking for votes now is just a way of seeking
attention for their services, AFAICS. If they'd learn some basic
netiquette and promote it to their users, then they'd be in a better
position. It doesn't need votes to do that.

But their presentation, even if not overtly, strongly suggests to me
that they want to present the long-standing usenet newsgroups to their
users as if they might be Google's own proprietary discussion forums.
I can't be doing with that, so, with the exception of a few names
filtered specially, I'm filtering them below the visibility horizon of
my news client; therefore I no longer care that most of their users
haven't a clue about Usenet. The day's too short to read every
posting, anyway, so one has to apply *some* kind of selection, and
this happens to be one of mine.

best regards

John Bokma

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Abigail wrote:
>> Google is evil. I'm not going to collect their cookies...

> Wow. Evil, huh? Just out of curiosity, may I ask what non-evil (and
> cookie-less) search engine you usually use?

The Open Source one of course.

Now wait....

I ploink googlegroups.com

John Bokma

"Alan J. Flavell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Google Groups let you vote for new features. Vote for default quoting:
>> <http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y>
>>
>> "Default quoting of previous message in replies"

> Well, I'm sorry, but they've let this go on for too long to be able to
> take them seriously. Asking for votes now is just a way of seeking
> attention for their services, AFAICS.

OMG, visiting one page, and clicking is seeking attention for their
services? Does Google need such a thing? There are plenty of sites that
hype Google daily, I doubt that they need some people on Usenet voting to
promoot their services.

> I can't be doing with that, so, with the exception of a few names
> filtered specially, I'm filtering them below the visibility horizon of
> my news client; therefore I no longer care that most of their users
> haven't a clue about Usenet. The day's too short to read every
> posting, anyway, so one has to apply *some* kind of selection, and
> this happens to be one of mine.

But how do you find new people that are worthy?

I ploink googlegroups.com

Lars Kellogg-Stedman

> But how do you find new people that are worthy?

They're the ones that burn incense and leave money at the altar when
they come to request Our sage advice.

Seriously, though -- auto-plonking people because you don't like their
newsreader doesn't seem like a good way to keep Usenet a vibrant and
thriving community. I'm glad that 15 years ago people weren't blocking
my newbie messages due to my choice of software!

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <(E-Mail Removed)>
This email address will expire on 2005-11-23.

What are all these nonesence sites quoting mine but with no content? xyZed HTML 8 04-05-2006 04:52 PM
Quoting literals properly yoni XML 12 02-18-2006 10:42 PM
Quoting original messages in replies John Coxon Firefox 14 04-24-2004 06:18 PM
Does Google bar's 'Vote Against This Page' (blue Sad Smiley) do anything? Proxomitron :-) Computer Support 1 01-28-2004 01:47 AM
Quoting confusion Derek Fountain XML 2 08-13-2003 10:36 AM

Advertisments