Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Spotlight Comments (Mac OS X Tiger)

Spotlight Comments (Mac OS X Tiger)

Joseph Taylor

Hi,

I'm new to both Perl and the Mac. Is it possible to use Perl to
automate the task of adding spotlight comments to all my files?

What I'm aiming towards is a simple script that cycles through all the
directories and child directories of a folder of my choosing, appending
to the spotlight comments the name of all parent directories.

This would help make my searches more accurate, in as much as a
resident of the "Website" folder is most certainly website related.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Anno Siegel

Joseph Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to both Perl and the Mac. Is it possible to use Perl to
> automate the task of adding spotlight comments to all my files?
>
> What I'm aiming towards is a simple script that cycles through all the
> directories and child directories of a folder of my choosing, appending
> to the spotlight comments the name of all parent directories.
>
> This would help make my searches more accurate, in as much as a
> resident of the "Website" folder is most certainly website related.

AppleScript (much as I dislike that "language") is a more likely
candidate than Perl for that task. When it comes to interfacing with
OSX you'll have to go through a small AppleScript even from Perl,
so why not do it all in AppleScript?

Anno

brian d foy

In article <dlcq9c$jk3$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE>, Anno Siegel
<(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote:

> Joseph Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

> > What I'm aiming towards is a simple script that cycles through all the
> > directories and child directories of a folder of my choosing, appending
> > to the spotlight comments the name of all parent directories.

> AppleScript (much as I dislike that "language") is a more likely
> candidate than Perl for that task. When it comes to interfacing with
> OSX you'll have to go through a small AppleScript even from Perl,

Well, you might have to go through OSA, but that doesn't mean
you have to go through AppleScript.

Check the Mac:: modules on CPAN to see which may apply

--
brian d foy, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Subscribe to The Perl Review: http://www.theperlreview.com