Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Learning PERL

Learning PERL

panidhar.revanur@gmail.com

Hello Guys,

I am sure 90% of you all are quite familiar with PERL, atleast the
basics. I am a new user. I actually work for an SCM product company. I
need to learn PERL. Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pani.

John Bokma

> Hello Guys,
>
> I am sure 90% of you all are quite familiar with PERL,

No, but I am with Perl, and perl (which neither are an acronym).

> atleast the
> basics. I am a new user. I actually work for an SCM product company. I
> need to learn PERL. Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
> have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

install perl under cygwin, and check out perldoc Oh, and there are Perl
ports for Windows, I use ActiveState Perl most of the time.

I ploink googlegroups.com

Tom Regner

Hello Pani,

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

seconding the correction of John Bokma on the case-sensitivity of
perl/Perl

> Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
> have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

Taking it for granted, that you are proficient in at least one programming
language, I recommend to make room in your bookshelf and buy some O'reilly
books[0] (Learning Perl, Learning Perl Objects References and Modules and
Mastering Regular Expressions to name a few to get started). If you are not
adverse to read on screen, the Perl CD Bookshelf[1] promises good value for
your money.

I your know well, what you need, perldoc maybe enough to get you started,
though the information may be overwhelming.

A good source for examples of code-snippets to get a feeling for the
language is available at perlmonks[2], which is also an excellent place to
ask for advice on specific problems that may arise - lurk there a while, to
get a feeling for the place, it's worth it.

kind regards,
Tom

[0] http://perl.oreilly.com/
[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlcdbs4/
[2] http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Cool%20Uses%20for%20Perl
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Code%20Catacombs
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Snippets%20Section

--
Dievision GmbH | Kriegerstrasse 44 | 30161 Hannover
Telefon: (0511) 288791-0 | Telefax: (0511) 288791-99

panidhar.revanur@gmail.com

Thanks Tom. Your help is very much appreicated. Thanks again. I will go
forward doing as you have said.

panidhar.revanur@gmail.com

Thanks John.....your help is appreciated.

John Bokma

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks John.....your help is appreciated.

I guess you mean me:
<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213>

Please read it, and use it.

I ploink googlegroups.com