Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Mail::Audit help plz

Mail::Audit help plz

Rob

Hi,

I've installed the Mail::Audit (ver 2.1) perl module
to my home directory as non-root user & I get a problem.

here's my .forward:
|/home/rob/bin/forward_email

here's the forward_email:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

BEGIN{
unshift @INC, '/home/rob/lib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3'
}

$\ = "\n";
select(STDERR); $| = 1;
select(STDOUT); $| = 1;
use Mail::Audit;

my $mail = Mail::Audit->new(emergency=>"/home/rob/emergency_mbox");
my $from = $mail->from();
my $to = $mail->to();
my $subject = $mail->subject();
chomp($from, $to, $subject);

open(LOG, ">> /home/rob/mynewmail.log");
print LOG "from is $from";
print LOG "to is $to";
print LOG "subj is $subject";
close(LOG);

$mail->accept('/home/rob/dead.lettters');

However, nothing is written to mynewmail.log. Plus the first line
of the dead.lettters is:
From root@localhost Wed Oct 26 16:06:27 2005
<<and then we have the body of the mail here>>

In addition, this email is sent back to the user:

pipe to |/home/rob/bin/forward_email
generated by http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/home/rob/bin/forward_email
generated by (E-Mail Removed) ------

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /home/rob/lib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Mail/Audit.pm line 431.

<<the headers + body of email is here>>

Has anyone seen this problem? What do you think I should do?

--Rob

usenet@DavidFilmer.com

Rob wrote:
> use Mail::Audit;
> my $mail = Mail::Audit->new(emergency=>"/home/rob/emergency_mbox");
> my $from = $mail->from();

You created a brand-new $mail object. When did you think the "from" (or
other) method would get a value? Did you mean to say something like:
$mail->from($from); #assuming $from has a value

> However, nothing is written to mynewmail.log.

NOTHING is written? Or do you mean you get stuff like:
from is
to is
subj is
with nothing behind it (which is what I would expect, since you never
passed any values to the object).

Rob

Sorry, by nothing I meant the values in the variables are empty....
otherwise, yes, mynewmail.log file is created with:
from is
to is
subject is

I could not find good documentation on the module to know
if $mail = Mail::Audit->new() would creates a new blank object
or reads the incoming mail as new object?

My objective is to read incoming data & store it
in dbase by from, to, subject, body.....thanx.....

--Rob