Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Simultaneous requests using LWP

Simultaneous requests using LWP

prakash

Hi,

I found a web resource stating that LWP is unable to handle multiple
simultaneous requests in the bugs section.

http://perl.active-venture.com/lib/LWP.html

I have a perl code that makes a single HTTP call using LWP to a remote
server, but many separate instances of that code may run at the same
time. Ideally speaking multiple simultaneous requests are made from a
server to another, but through different running instances of the perl
code using LWP.

My question:

1. Is the above scenario a case that will fail in LWP?
2. What do these resources mean by Simultaneous requests: Do they mean
requests from a single instance or does it include requests from
multiple instances also.
3. Is there any web resources explaining such a factor?

I would greatly appreciate any idea/help in this regard.

Thanks,
Prakash

J. Gleixner

prakash wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a web resource stating that LWP is unable to handle multiple
> simultaneous requests in the bugs section.
>
> http://perl.active-venture.com/lib/LWP.html
>
> I have a perl code that makes a single HTTP call using LWP to a remote
> server, but many separate instances of that code may run at the same
> time. Ideally speaking multiple simultaneous requests are made from a
> server to another, but through different running instances of the perl
> code using LWP.
>
> My question:
>
> 1. Is the above scenario a case that will fail in LWP?

Try it and see. No need to ask others what your program will or will
not do, when you can quickly test it.

> 2. What do these resources mean by Simultaneous requests: Do they mean
> requests from a single instance or does it include requests from
> multiple instances also.

Multiple concurrent connections from the same process.

> 3. Is there any web resources explaining such a factor?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any idea/help in this regard.

It doesn't seem like you need it, however you might want to look at
LWP:arallel::UserAgent, if you want to actually do things in parallel.

Also see Randal's articles:
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/Web...ues/col27.html
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/Web...ues/col28.html