Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Beginner DBI problem

Beginner DBI problem

Matt Garrish

"Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt Garrish wrote:
>> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

>>>Shouldn't that be
>>>
>>> $sth->execute() or die $sth->errstr;
>>>
>>>? Or doesn't it matter?

>> It doesn't matter. errstr is global to the DBI package, so any valid
>> object should be able to access its value. In this case:
>>
>> DBI->errstr;
>> $dbh->errstr;
>> $sth->errstr;
>>
>> could all be used to print an error executing the statement.

> Okay, thanks.
>
>> It's probably not wise to use the statement handle itself, though,
>> because it's the most likely candidate not to have a valid object.

> Don't follow you there, Matt. If $sth isn't a valid object reference, the
> errstr method won't tell you why $sth->execute() failed, will it?

Sorry, was in a rush this morning. I was thinking you would get both an
error for trying to call the execute method and an error for trying to call
errstr (i.e., redundant messages). Obviously that's not the case.

Matt