Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Getting mods to install?

Getting mods to install?

news@celticbear.com

I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.
Like:
REQUIRED module missing: Digest::SHA1
optional module missing: Net:NS
optional module missing: Mail::SPF::Query
optional module missing: IP::Country
optional module missing: Razor2
optional module missing: Net::Ident
optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6
optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL
optional module missing: Time::HiRes
optional module out of date: Getopt::Long
optional module missing: Archive::Tar
optional module missing: IO::Zlib

Ibviously I looked on the Spamassassin site, FAQ, for Perl mod info,
and found none.
I searched the newsgroup for installing mods, and I find a lot of
messages about problems with install, but nothing about how you get
mods in the first place.

I've never had to deal with Perl before, so I guess it's obvious to
someone who knows about Perl, but I can't seem to find the first step
to getting/installing mods.

Any clue-by-fours anyone can provide?
Thanks!
Liam

Keith Keller

On 2005-10-18, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
> perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.

Spamassassin *is* a Perl module, so you install the other modules the
same way. Their downloads page suggests:

Perl users: SpamAssassin can be downloaded from CPAN.

Substitute the name of your module for SpamAssassin, and you can install
(almost) any Perl module. CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try

perldoc CPAN

or

http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/perl-5.8.0/lib/CPAN.pm

for more info.

--keith

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

usenet@DavidFilmer.com

Keith Keller wrote:
> CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
> hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try
>
> perldoc CPAN

When you run perl -MCPAN for the first time, it will ask you what you
want to do about pre-reqs (ask, follow, ignore). The default is "ask"
but you probably want to select "follow" so it will automagically
install all the pre-reqs for you.

news@celticbear.com

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2005-10-18, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
> > perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.

> Spamassassin *is* a Perl module, so you install the other modules the
> same way. Their downloads page suggests:
>
> Perl users: SpamAssassin can be downloaded from CPAN.
>
> Substitute the name of your module for SpamAssassin, and you can install
> (almost) any Perl module. CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
> hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try
>
> perldoc CPAN

Wow! That's way cool. It's kind of like a "yum" in a way.
I guess I didn't get that from the examples I saw. I saw the CPAN
commands here and there in newsgroup postings, but didn't understand
that it was downloading the module in the process.

Thanks for the help!
Liam

Keith Keller

On 2005-10-18, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When you run perl -MCPAN for the first time,

Or, for recent versions of CPAN, just run cpan from the commandline.
(Hey, those seven characters could be better spent elsewhere!)

--keith