Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Question for the regulars

Question for the regulars

beartiger@gmail.com

What is the worst mistake you've ever seen in a Perl script?

And please don't cite one from the scripts I've posted here.

Anno Siegel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> What is the worst mistake you've ever seen in a Perl script?

Your question makes little sense unless you specify a measure of
badness of a mistake. If one mistake crashes the program and another
makes it return incorrect results, which is worse? If one mistake
deviates from correct code by one character and another by two, is
the second one worse? If so, the worst mistake would be total gibberish.
Or is it severity of consequences? But that depends more on circumstantial
facts than on the nature of the error. It may be hard to come up with
a useful measure of badness.

In my view, the worst mistakes are the entirely unspectacular ones we
get to see daily. Failure to use strict or warnings, mixing up eq with
== and similar, unjustified expectancies with respect to references and
de-referencing are in that category. If the frequency with which these
turn up on clpm is an indication of their overall frequency in Perl
programming, they must be responsible for a large part of the time
spent in debugging Perl.

Anno

A. Sinan Unur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de (Anno Siegel) wrote in
news:diu2t5$ehb$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> What is the worst mistake you've ever seen in a Perl script?

> In my view, the worst mistakes are the entirely unspectacular ones we
> get to see daily. Failure to use strict or warnings, mixing up eq
> with == and similar, unjustified expectancies with respect to
> references and de-referencing are in that category. If the frequency
> with which these turn up on clpm is an indication of their overall
> frequency in Perl programming, they must be responsible for a large
> part of the time spent in debugging Perl.

Agreed.

I recently bought Perl Best Practices

after it was mentioned here (see the thread at

or <URL: http://tinyurl.com/ey9dp>). I can see not everyone agreeing
with all the recommendations in the book. However, one major benefit
of reading the book has been to see the "not recommended" examples
before the recommendations, and reading the reasoning that led to the
recommendations.

So, if one's aim is to learn what not to do by example,
PBP is a great source.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

Tad McClellan

> Subject: Question for the regulars

I expect that many (most?) of the regulars do not see your
posts, because we are assholes.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Tad McClellan

> What is the worst mistake you've ever seen in a Perl script?

Not enabling warnings.

--

Tad McClellan wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Subject: Question for the regulars

> I expect that many (most?) of the regulars do not see your
> posts, because we are assholes.

Did you read Bill Segraves' post? Much like your above expression of
petty grudge keeping, it's like a hilarious parody of a humorless
asshole.

A. Sinan Unur

Purl Gurl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> What is the worst mistake you've ever seen in a Perl script?

> Using Stein's cgi.pm module.
>
> Purl Gurl

In most cases that I have seen here, NOT using CGI.pm is a mistake often
made.

In fact, in most cases, not using a *core* module is a mistake.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

A. Sinan Unur

Purl Gurl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4352EA78.3070403
@purlgurl.net:

> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> Purl Gurl wrote:
>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> (snipped)

>>>Using Stein's cgi.pm module.

>> In fact, in most cases, not using a *core* module is a mistake.

> Your factual basis is?
>
> I have demonstrated, factually, dozens of times Stein's module
> is the number one worst written module.
>
> Your factual basis is?

Anyone interested in your ramblings can search Google Groups, and read
them.

For more information, see:

perldoc -q "How do I decode a CGI form?"

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

Tad McClellan

> Tad McClellan wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Subject: Question for the regulars

>> I expect that many (most?) of the regulars do not see your
>> posts, because we are assholes.

> Did you read Bill Segraves' post?

I'm afraid he has made more than one post, so more information
would be required to determine which post you are referring to.
Got a Message-ID for it or something?

I did not see a post from him in the "assholes" thread.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas

Matt Garrish

"Purl Gurl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> Purl Gurl wrote:
>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> (snipped)

>>>Using Stein's cgi.pm module.

>> In fact, in most cases, not using a *core* module is a mistake.

> Your factual basis is?
>
> I have demonstrated, factually, dozens of times Stein's module
> is the number one worst written module.

You have only factually demonstrated over the years that you know very
little about Perl, and less about the cgi environment. Please show us how
your code is better. Many in a technical group expect statements to enjoy a
factual basis, you know. You vague claims have no factual basis.

Matt

regulars expressions ? scott Python 4 06-28-2005 07:20 PM
For All the Newbies/Non-regulars... Lewis Lang Digital Photography 1 02-03-2005 10:22 AM
Re: COLA Regulars being forged in aow-xp Keyser Soze Computer Information 0 01-18-2005 03:37 PM
Re: COLA Regulars being forged in aow-xp Keyser Soze Computer Support 0 01-18-2005 03:37 PM
To All Regulars... Toolman Tim Computer Support 15 01-10-2005 11:59 PM

Advertisments