Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Photo re-sizing code for member-base web site

Photo re-sizing code for member-base web site

BWIN

I am the owner of a very large scale member-base website and the
members are having trouble re-sizing there pics to create headshots.
The headshots are supposed to be 175 x 175 pixels exactly. We get alot
of people trying to re-size their own images and unfortunatley they
don't have photo skills and the images never get uploaded because they
are usually off a few pixels when trying to upload the headshot. So the
headshot's usually don't get uploaded.

So here is my Question: Is there any kind of software or javascript
coding that I can implement into my website that will allow a member
that has, lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that photo in to
almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag,
move, re-size their pic all they want in the box and then save it??

If anyone has any suggestions or help for this that would be greatly
appreciated. I am desperate. Thanks!

BWIN

Scott Bryce

BWIN wrote:

> So here is my Question: Is there any kind of software or javascript
> coding that I can implement into my website that will allow a member
> that has, lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that photo in to
> almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag,
> move, re-size their pic all they want in the box and then save it??

Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl newsgroup? If such an
application exists, it is probably not written in Perl.

babydoe@mailinator.com

Scott Bryce writes:
> Brandon Winnie wrote:

>> So here is my Question: Is there any kind of
>> software or javascript coding that I can implement
>> into my website that will allow a member that has,
>> lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that
>> photo in to almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x
>> 175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic
>> all they want in the box and then save it??

> Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl
> newsgroup? If such an application exists, it is
> probably not written in Perl.

Scott, sugar, Brandon ain't such a start natural fool.
ImageMagick is the reference standard for imaging, and
ImageMagick is well supported in Perl. Resizing a photo
with ImageMagick is as simple as:

C:\>convert mypic.jpg -resize 175 mythumb.jpg

Cropping and trimming a photo is just as easy, and if I
were to want such a service on my webpage, I would look
at Perl and ImageMagick. (Tho' I think fixing your
photo, and spell checking, and other personal grooming
stuff, should be done before you upload to a website.)

--
You know mighty well that Prof. A. Sinan Unur ain't never
has neighbored with our kind of trash, and I don't know

Anno Siegel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Scott Bryce writes:
> > Brandon Winnie wrote:

> >> So here is my Question: Is there any kind of
> >> software or javascript coding that I can implement
> >> into my website that will allow a member that has,
> >> lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that
> >> photo in to almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x
> >> 175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic
> >> all they want in the box and then save it??

> > Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl
> > newsgroup? If such an application exists, it is
> > probably not written in Perl.

> Scott, sugar, Brandon ain't such a start natural fool.
> ImageMagick is the reference standard for imaging, and
> ImageMagick is well supported in Perl. Resizing a photo
> with ImageMagick is as simple as:
>
> C:\>convert mypic.jpg -resize 175 mythumb.jpg

Yes. Have you read the question?

How will that "allow a member ... to drop that photo in to a pre-made
box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic..."?

That's a client-side process, unlikely to be implemented in Perl.

Anno

Matt Garrish

"Anno Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:dintn0$qou$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> Scott Bryce writes:

>> > Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl
>> > newsgroup? If such an application exists, it is
>> > probably not written in Perl.

>> Scott, sugar, Brandon ain't such a start natural fool.
>> ImageMagick is the reference standard for imaging, and
>> ImageMagick is well supported in Perl. Resizing a photo
>> with ImageMagick is as simple as:
>>
>> C:\>convert mypic.jpg -resize 175 mythumb.jpg

> Yes. Have you read the question?
>
> How will that "allow a member ... to drop that photo in to a pre-made
> box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic..."?
>
> That's a client-side process, unlikely to be implemented in Perl.

Not necessarily. He obviously wants the user to be able to specify the
cropping on the client side, but I suspect some server-side processing would
be needed to perform the actual cropping of the image, and that's where perl
would come in. I'm not sure how he'd make this bounding box or obatin the
start coordinate to crop from, but it's probably not an impossible task.

Matt

Dr.Ruud

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) schreef:

> ImageMagick

Or GD.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Ian Wilson

Anno Siegel wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>
>>Scott Bryce writes:

>>>Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl
>>>newsgroup? If such an application exists, it is
>>>probably not written in Perl.

>>Scott, sugar, Brandon ain't such a start natural fool.
>>ImageMagick is the reference standard for imaging, and
>>ImageMagick is well supported in Perl. Resizing a photo
>>with ImageMagick is as simple as:
>>
>>C:\>convert mypic.jpg -resize 175 mythumb.jpg

> Yes. Have you read the question?
>
> How will that "allow a member ... to drop that photo in to a pre-made
> box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic..."?
>
> That's a client-side process, unlikely to be implemented in Perl.

http://magick.net4tv.com/

"Here is your image. Click on a tab above to interactively resize,
rotate, sharpen, color reduce, or add special effects to your image and
save the completed work in the same or differing image format. Press
Back to undo your last image transformation. For more information, see
ImageMagick."

I've no idea if their "*.cgi" URLs are Perl but I see no reason you
couldn't do this using Perl::Magick and CGI

Just my GBP 0.02 worth.

Scott Bryce

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Scott Bryce writes:
>
>>Brandon Winnie wrote:

>>>So here is my Question: Is there any kind of
>>>software or javascript coding that I can implement
>>>into my website that will allow a member that has,
>>>lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that
>>>photo in to almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x
>>>175 and then they can drag, move, re-size their pic
>>>all they want in the box and then save it??

>>Is there a reason you are asking this in a Perl
>>newsgroup? If such an application exists, it is
>>probably not written in Perl.

> Scott, sugar, Brandon ain't such a start natural fool.
> ImageMagick is the reference standard for imaging, and
> ImageMagick is well supported in Perl. Resizing a photo
> with ImageMagick is as simple as:

Or maybe he is. In order for such a process to run in a user's browser,
the user would have to have both Perl and ImageMagic installed on his
machine.

Babacio

Scott Bryce

> Or maybe he is. In order for such a process to run in a user's
> browser, the user would have to have both Perl and ImageMagic
> installed on his machine.

Or he may waits something like a reference to Image::Resize, which
itself uses GD.

--
Bé erre hue ixe eu elle, Bruxelles.

Scott Bryce

Ian Wilson wrote:

> http://magick.net4tv.com/
>
> "Here is your image. Click on a tab above to interactively resize,
> rotate, sharpen, color reduce, or add special effects to your image and
> save the completed work in the same or differing image format. Press
> Back to undo your last image transformation. For more information, see
> ImageMagick."

But Brandon's target audience includes people who have trouble resizing
or croping an image in a paint package. I doubt this would be much
easier for them.