Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Learning Perl

Learning Perl

yamuna

I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
Unix/Linux.

In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?

Mike

On 2005-09-24, yamuna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> Unix/Linux.
>
> In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?

install cygwin (www.cygwin.com)

A. Sinan Unur

"yamuna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1127604882.637891.55670
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> Unix/Linux.
>
> In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?

There are many Perl distributions for Windows. I am sure you are able to
search Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+windows

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

yamuna

Mike wrote:
> On 2005-09-24, yamuna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> > Unix/Linux.
> >
> > In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?
> >

> install cygwin (www.cygwin.com)

It's safe, right. Windows pop-up said "This files does not have a valid
digital signature that verifies it spublisher..."

Scott Bryce

yamuna wrote:
> I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> Unix/Linux.
>
> In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?

You should install Perl.

http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach yamuna:

> Mike wrote:
>> On 2005-09-24, yamuna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
>> > Unix/Linux.
>> >
>> > In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?
>> >

>> install cygwin (www.cygwin.com)

> It's safe, right. Windows pop-up said "This files does not have a valid
> digital signature that verifies it spublisher..."

It is safe, yes. However, if you want to learn Perl and you're possibly
more familiar with the Windows environment (which is what your posting
suggests) I wouldn't use cygwin for it. cygwin is a UNIX environment
ported to Windows and it's easier to learn one thing than to learn two
things simultaneously.

I'd therefore go for ActivePerl or IndigoPerl as it has been suggested
elsewhere in this thread. After that you could consider using perl under
cygwin or even install a real Linux. Perl is a lot more fun and also
easier if you have access to a C compiler and a make-tool.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;

Jürgen Exner

yamuna wrote:
> I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> Unix/Linux.
>
> In order to run Perl codes , what should I install?

_THE_ standard Perl distribution for Windows is ActivePerl fromn
ActiveState, see http://activestate.com/
It is free, too.

jue

Brian Wakem

yamuna wrote:

> I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> Unix/Linux.

Yes you do, it is freely downloadable.

--
Brian Wakem

yamuna

Brian Wakem wrote:
> yamuna wrote:
>
> > I have windows XP at home, i.e no Unix or Linux. I have no access to
> > Unix/Linux.

> Yes you do, it is freely downloadable.

Yes, yes, yes. I am trying to reach to that stage of having a PC with
Linux. It's not $$ issue. Long story.

> --
> Brian Wakem
> Email: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.wakem/myemail.png

yamuna

> No, it's not safe. I

I am glad I asked. I'd rather be cautious and play safe, i.e not lose
time fixing too many unexpected problem and proceed with my goal.

>If you trust Windows pop-ups over the people in this newsgroup,
>I'm wondering why you asked us.

I don't trust those but
life's situation has been pretty bad and my project to build a PC on
my own (bought parts last year June) , put Linux had been postponed I
am stuck with windows still. I just need to get started on Perl but I
will get to linux and also rid of IE. I have to do it with my pace; I
will get there.

>That said, let me provide you with some links,

Thanks. I did google search and saw activePerl but it helps to know
which one is good for what purpose, etc.

<snip>