Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > problem with perldoc

Reply
Thread Tools

problem with perldoc

 
 
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...

$ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
$ perldoc perlsec
No documentation found for "perlsec".
$ perldoc perlsub
No documentation found for "perlsub".

Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!

Any hint on where to look to correct this?

TIA,
Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stephen Hildrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos wrote:
> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
>
> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
> $ perldoc perlsec
> No documentation found for "perlsec".
> $ perldoc perlsub
> No documentation found for "perlsub".
>
> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
>
> Any hint on where to look to correct this?


What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
of perldoc.

When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
present and "findable by" perldoc.

Steve
--
Stephen Hildrey
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) / Tel: +442071931337
Jabber: (E-Mail Removed) / MSN: (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
On Σαβ, 24 Σεπ 2005 at 16:21 GMT, Stephen Hildrey wrote:
> Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos wrote:
>> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
>>
>> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
>> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
>> $ perldoc perlsec
>> No documentation found for "perlsec".
>> $ perldoc perlsub
>> No documentation found for "perlsub".
>>
>> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
>> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
>>
>> Any hint on where to look to correct this?

>
> What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
> between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
> of perldoc.
>
> When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
> present and "findable by" perldoc.
>
> Steve


Thank you Steve for your answer...
I'm using bash.

But I've found that:
1. `man perlsec` is working, while `perldoc perlsec` doesn't
2. the perlsec.pod is in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod/perlsec.pod and I
have perl version 5.8.3

As you said, it must be a misconfiguration and perldoc doesn't know
where to look for pod files (except for 5.8.3).


(after some thought and some reading of the man page of perldoc)

I've found it! All I had to do was:
export PERL5LIB="/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/pod:/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod"

Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
"Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
>
> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
> $ perldoc perlsec
> No documentation found for "perlsec".
> $ perldoc perlsub
> No documentation found for "perlsub".
>
> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
>
> Any hint on where to look to correct this?


Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.

sherm--

--
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
Hire me! My resume: http://www.dot-app.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
On Σαβ, 24 Σεπ 2005 at 17:11 GMT, Sherm Pendley wrote:
> "Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
>>
>> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
>> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
>> $ perldoc perlsec
>> No documentation found for "perlsec".
>> $ perldoc perlsub
>> No documentation found for "perlsub".
>>
>> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
>> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
>>
>> Any hint on where to look to correct this?

>
> Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
> perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.
>
> sherm--


Ehmmm... actually no... I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
is v5.8.1

I've already solved my problem (see my other message), but I'll look
also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!

Thank you,
Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
..
HELLAS is on the final of Eurobasket 2005!
We're the first in Europe (again)!!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tad McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2005
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
> is v5.8.1



The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
so they should have been already upgraded.


> I'll look
> also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!



Try simply finding where it was put when you installed v5.8.3 first.


--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2005
Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
>> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
>> is v5.8.1

>
> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
> so they should have been already upgraded.


They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
break the docs out into separate optional packages.

sherm--

--
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
Hire me! My resume: http://www.dot-app.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
axel@white-eagle.invalid.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2005
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:


>> Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
>>> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
>>> is v5.8.1


>> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
>> so they should have been already upgraded.


> They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
> break the docs out into separate optional packages.


Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

Axel

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bertilo Wennergren
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
(E-Mail Removed):

>>> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
>>> so they should have been already upgraded.


>> They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
>> break the docs out into separate optional packages.


> Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.


Ubuntu seems to be another on (as I just found out).
Ubuntu users can do:

sudo apt-get install perl-doc

The same probably works for many other Debian-based Linux distibutions.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <http://bertilow.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
On Κυρ, 25 Σεπ 2005 at 19:35 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>
>>> Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>>>> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
>>>> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
>>>> is v5.8.1

>
>>> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
>>> so they should have been already upgraded.

>
>> They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
>> break the docs out into separate optional packages.

>
> Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.
>
> Axel


Bingo!
This is indeed a Mandrake 9.2 system and perl was installed by rpm. I
upgraded the perl-doc package and now everything is ok again

The good thing was that using PERL5LIB as the docs suggested, worked
also, but having the same version for the whole package is better
(and safer).

Apostolos

--
Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ri and rdoc....like perldoc? Derek Smith Ruby 7 07-09-2010 03:56 PM
Tried Ruby (or, "what Python *really* needs" or "perldoc!") john_sips_tea@yahoo.com Python 27 03-17-2006 10:02 PM
perldoc problem on linux Zhiliang Hu Perl Misc 13 11-19-2004 05:10 AM
Perldoc Equivalent? James Edward Gray II Ruby 19 09-06-2004 05:04 PM
Perl faq and posted to newsgroup but not to perldoc.com Upstart Perl Misc 1 08-11-2003 03:30 PM



Advertisments