Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > automate website login using perl

automate website login using perl

Paul Lalli

pdc wrote:
> Paul Lalli,
> I guess you either do not work in customer service,

I am not working here. Are you paying me? I'm donating my time and
knowledge. What I ask in return is not a paycheck, but that those
requesting assistance follow a few simple requests and make an attempt
to solve their problems on their own.

> or don't care about others' feelings when they ask for help.

100% correct. I am not a shrink. I am not here to make anyone feel
good about him/herself. If you have a question about Perl, and I am
able to assist, I will be happy to do so. Your emotional and
psychological state is wholly irrelevant to me.

> Accusing someone of being rude
> simply because they don't adhere to the same grammatical rules as you seems
> a bit harsh.

I have no idea what you're talking about. No where in this thread (or
any other I can remember off hand), did I ever mention anyone's grammar
or lack there of.

> As for the advice to google everything one does not understand; Let's all
> stop using newsgroups and stop asking anyone else for help -- all the
> information is available through google surely?

Stop asking the newsgroup? Absolutely not. Attempting to find the
information on one's own before wasting the time of hundreds of people
around the world? Damn right.

> As for top posting, When people regularly quote entire passages in their
> posts,

People should *not* be quoting entire passages in their post. They
should be trimming it down to a relevant amount of material. Have you
read the Posting Guidelines?

> I actually prefer to see the latest text at the top of the list.

Well congratulations, but the vast majority of people who frequent this
group - the ones actually offering our time, assistance, and knowledge,
rather than requesting it of others - prefer a different style. When
people are asking for free assistance, I don't think it's out of line
to request that they follow that style.

> <quoted text snipped out of courtesy>

Single most ironic statement I've seen in this group in at least 2
months. It is courteous to not follow the standard traditions and
customs of the people who've been in this group several magnitudes of
time longer than you? You need a better dictionary.

Paul Lalli

Tad McClellan

pdc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Paul Lalli,
> I guess you either do not work in customer service,

That is not relevant, since Usenet is not a help-desk.

> or don't care about
> others' feelings when they ask for help. Accusing someone of being rude
> simply because they don't adhere to the same grammatical rules as you seems
> a bit harsh.

You seem to have missed the point of Paul's post, since it was not
about grammatical rules. It was Brian's post that pointed out the
grammatical rules preferred here.

Paul's post was about asking hundreds (thousands?) of people around
the world a question that is easily answered without taking up
those volunteers time. (and thereby drawing them away from helping
others who have a not-easily-found answer.)

He then went on to provide the additional "customer service" of
teaching how this question could have been answered more quickly
and efficiently.

Learning the approach he suggested will help answer not only _this_
question, but many future questions as well.

He taught the OP how to fish rather than simply giving him a fish.

> As for the advice to google everything one does not understand; Let's all

^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^
> stop using newsgroups and stop asking anyone else for help -- all the

^^^
^^^
> information is available through google surely?

You are being disingenuous there, as we do not object to _all_ questions.

We do, however, object to answering questions whose answer is
easily answered in a standard place, such as the docs or a
Usenet archive.

We are not a "look it up for me" service, we are a "help me because
I've looked for the answer, but could not find it" service.

> As for top posting, When people regularly quote entire passages in their
> posts, I actually prefer to see the latest text at the top of the list.

That's nice, but also irrelevant, since a properly quoted followup
does not meet your "entire" predicate.

A properly quoted followup would have included only enough of a
passage to indicate the context for the comment that is to follow.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

pdc

I do apologise if I caused offence. It was an admittedly rash reaction to
what I read as a disparaging response to a reader's request for assistance.
I did not fully understand the general attitude of the many respondants to
this group.